Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   help with air in system PLEASE (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/help-with-air-in-system-please-19484.html)

zimzee 02-26-2011 04:42 PM

help with air in system PLEASE

HELLO
my 2004 (54) grand cherokee sport has just had a new radiator and since then the temp gauge seems to go up at random times whether i am driving fast or slow so i then thought i needed a new thermostat so i went and replaced it but now the temp gauge is going hot and cold and there is no heat coming from the heater. I am now thinking that there is air trapped in the radiator or in the pipes some where but do not have a clue how to remove it as i can not find any bleed screw so could someone please help me fix my problem as its doing my head in lol. thanks in advance :s

01grand 02-26-2011 05:03 PM

Re: help with air in system PLEASE

4.0L or V8?

zimzee 02-26-2011 05:03 PM

4.0L mate

01grand 02-26-2011 05:06 PM

Sorry then I wont be much help. There is a bleed plug to remove when filling the system on the V8, but I dont think the 4.0 has a plug.

zimzee 02-26-2011 05:16 PM

ok thanks

zimzee 02-27-2011 01:47 PM

anyone ????????????

Scottina06 02-27-2011 02:01 PM

it needs burped....

remove the radiator cap, start the engine and let run with the heat on for 15 minutes.
If you cannot see the coolant, then the level is low. Pour in anti-freeze to top the coolant level off. The coolant in the radiator will bubble and pop. Keep pouring in coolant to the radiator till the level stays full. Tighten the cap back on the radiator when the level stays full. Give the radiator a window of five minutes of running, after you top it off, to ensure all the air is bled out.

zimzee 02-28-2011 01:26 PM

ok i have done this about 5 times and have watched bubbles come up but its still the same, no heat blowing and the temp gauge keeps going hot and cold. I was going to start again and drain all the coolant out but the damn plug on the radiator is made of plastic and i have now snapped its wings off trying to undo it.:mad:

TJXJWJ 02-28-2011 01:29 PM

Stupid question...but is it possible the stat was put in backwards? I'm pretty sure it's physically possible.

or maybe the new stat is faulty?

zimzee 02-28-2011 01:40 PM

the stat is defiantly in the right way i took a picture before i took it out just to make sure also when i bought the stat the guy at the counter just typed in my reg and give me what the computer said but on the box it did say ford now im guessing that that is ok as some cars can take the same parts i hope

Scottina06 02-28-2011 01:55 PM

it does sound like the tstat is sticking. ONLY buy JET or oem.

zimzee 02-28-2011 02:17 PM

do you think it could be the water pump