Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   front brakes grinding (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/front-brakes-grinding-19486.html)

mrjaydeeone 02-26-2011 07:00 PM

front brakes grinding

around the start of February I started to feel a grinding from the front brakes when I applied them, but seemed to be only right after I started the jeep. I don't know what kinda pads are on there as they are from previous owner. Anyways I have about 16k put on my WJ since I got it. Last I was at mechanic a few weeks ago, he looked and said it is just the moisture if it is only happening when I 1st start up, and after a few stops it'll go away, and I have over half life left on my pads. Well the grinding is now more often, and it also seems to happen when I 1st let off the brake and beging to roll forward. I have felt my rotors and they are still smooth (no cuts in them). I haven't had time to take the wheels off and look at the pads better. Think the pads just need to be replaced? Or something more like seized calipers?

Chaoul1 02-26-2011 07:57 PM

Re: front brakes grinding

Well, if you had a seized caliper would you have already smelled burning or possibly the Jeep turning to either the left/right? Maybe you should take them apart and re-install them and grease the Caliper Bolts too!

mrjaydeeone 02-26-2011 09:25 PM

True true. I will have to check it out when I am off during the week. No smell, I am not even sure if the sound is heard from outside. My wife's accord was having grinding and squealing issues a few months back, thought was just pads, so she went in to have them replaced and turned out her front calipers were seized. No smells though

JeepMe 02-26-2011 11:42 PM

My front caliper was seized and there was no smell. But it only took a couple of days to warp the rotor and then find the issue.

cheapjeep 02-27-2011 09:41 AM

Hey Jay. Check the pads on the back side of the rotor. If you have any seizure issues the back side will start to fall apart first causing the grinding issue.

mrjaydeeone 02-27-2011 07:18 PM

thanks Dave. Well I now know that you can't hear the sound from outside the jeep, as I had my wife listen today. I was gonna head to my mechanic to check it out in the AM after work but he isn't working tomorrow. Maybe later in the week. I am starting to think maybe the rotors are warped.

TJXJWJ 02-28-2011 01:42 PM

Have you tried getting the front end up in the air and manually rotating? That might help you pinpoint. If it only does it with weight on the front end you may be looking at a bearing or joint in addition to the normal rusty rotor noise you get after it sits out in the weather.

mrjaydeeone 03-04-2011 03:32 PM

anyways before getting to mechanic it got worse. On Tuesday, I went to pull out of a spot from park and actually had to give it gas. Brakes were still grabbing. And later that day, there was squeaking and grinding while I was driving, and then coming home pedal to the floor to stop. Parked WJ and found a splatter of fluid on the front right wheel as well as tire. And after leaving for a bit, I saw a puddle of fluid in front of right front wheel.
I moved it to another spot the next AM and couldn't stop for anything.
A neighbor got me a discount from NAPA and I am going to be replacing front calipers and front and rear pads and rotors, just to have everything new. A friend of mine is coming to help me tomorrow. I want to learn how to do this, so I want to do the work with his help.
hopefully it was just the caliper being seized and I didn't do any further damage.

mrjaydeeone 03-10-2011 03:33 PM

all was fixed on Saturday. My friend came by with out mechanic friend. Job took maybe 2 hours total. Front right caliper was seized. And front right rotor when attempted to remove it ended up breaking in 2, the surface the pads touch seperated from the part attached to the hub. I looked back at the history I have for my WJ and it said rear pads were replaced and rotors resurfaced at 89k and front pads replaced and rotors resurfaced at 65k. I am guessing some repairs weren't recorded as I have 131k on her now, and I am sure the front pads couldn't have lasted another 65k LOL. But all is good now, and brakes freel great.