Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   HELP: Opening door with key and horn blows. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/help-opening-door-with-key-and-horn-blows-19558.html)

NHWK05 02-28-2011 04:14 PM

HELP: Opening door with key and horn blows.

So i lost my key fob this weekend. I was out at the barn with my wife and normally i keep just my Jeep key on a red strap that says "remove before flight". Well it was in my pocket and when i was walking around out side i dropped it. I did not realize that i dropped it until after my brother in law had finished plowing.

So now my key and key chain is in a snow pile until spring.

I do have one other key fob but thats my wifes and i have a spare.

My spare is just a regular key with no buttons, (its a rock key from Quadratec.com, ie its shaped like a rock)

The key was programmed and works jut fine but i have to open the doors with the key, i put the key in and once i pull the door handle the horn starts to blast. Is there any way to stop this or deactivate this so i can use a key to open the door?

I am going to buy a new key fob when i have the money but for now i want to use my fancy rock key but i dont want the horn going off every time.

LTrainGC 02-28-2011 04:16 PM

Re: HELP: Opening door with key and horn blows.

I think if you lock the doors with the key, it won't do it.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-28-2011 09:00 PM

thats the vehicles alarm, it can only be deactivated with the remote. i would just use your other remote.

Drew 02-28-2011 11:37 PM

or unplug your horn until spring.....

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-01-2011 02:24 AM

the key in the snow bank is pretty much garbage now

NHWK05 03-01-2011 07:24 AM

I know the key in the snow is junk, that is why i am going to get a new key in the spring. So there is no way to unlock the door with the key and open it w/o the horn going off? WTF is that bs.

dr.lee.baugh 03-01-2011 07:51 AM

You can, but it means not using the power door locks when you lock it.

If you use the power door locks (on the door itself, or with the FOB) it activates the content alarm.

If you manually lock the doors, then the content alarm will not activate. You can then unlock the jeep with the key and not have the alarm go off.

The engine immobilizer is always on, and is not affected by either method of locking the doors.

Relwarc 03-01-2011 08:23 AM

you have a spare fob dont you? why not use it? if your driving it, why does your wife need it?

The alarm is deactivated by the fob, like everyone is saying. The normal key, when its put into the lock, doesnt tell the car you're using a key. so the car assumes the door has been un locked by another means.... it's working as designed really.

NHWK05 03-01-2011 02:05 PM

I just wanted to use my fancy Rock key that i have that has never been used before. This morning i grabbed my wifes FOB until i can buy a new one.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-01-2011 02:47 PM

you can use the rock key, you will just have the use the key to lock the doors from the outside. otherwise the alarm will go off every time