Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   07 starting issue- give it gas to keep it started? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/07-starting-issue-give-it-gas-to-keep-it-started-19600.html)

paroxysym 03-01-2011 07:38 AM

07 starting issue- give it gas to keep it started?

ive searched a couple forums already this AM, they seem to touch on my problem but not exactly.. ive noticed the past couple times i have went to start my jeep it will start and as soon as it catches and hits 1000rpms it will drop to 500 and catch itself from stalling. i noticed it last night and this morning when i started it to come to work. i stopped at wawa and was hesitant to shut it off but i did. i came out and turned the key, it would catch and the rpms would hit 500 and then it would start. i tried 3 times and on the 3rd time i figured id give it gas as the rpms climbed and it stayed running.

its an 07, 4.7 v8 with just under 62k on it...

Scottina06 03-01-2011 10:18 AM

Re: 07 starting issue- give it gas to keep it started?

hmmm....watching with interest

paroxysym 03-01-2011 10:22 AM

battery was just replaced less than 6mon ago according to carfax... so im ruling that out.

TJXJWJ 03-01-2011 10:25 AM

First thing I would do is remove the TB, perform a thorough cleaning, and see if anything changes. Then I'd probably start with any of the sensors mounted on the TB. TPS, and IAC. No codes being thrown?

jcostri09 03-01-2011 10:28 AM

check your air filter as well. Something similar happened to a buddy of mine with a 4.7, the air filter was garbage and it actually stalled. replaced the filter and it was good to go...

paroxysym 03-01-2011 10:29 AM

ill go out at lunch and check the air filter... no codes thrown which surprises me..

LTrainGC 03-01-2011 10:32 AM

How old are the spark plugs?

JP49 03-01-2011 10:38 AM

the first thing I would do is check the gas cap and make sure its tight. .. just a thought.

wkthursty 03-01-2011 10:42 AM

my 05 laredo has done that to me once all i did was give it gas the second try and let it idle for a minute and gave it gas in park and built up rpms to 2500. might just have shit in the wrong place. I would check the TB though.

paroxysym 03-01-2011 12:41 PM

so started fine with the remote start at lunch, didnt try the actual key in the ignition- the air filter looks brand new. it still bothers me, as for the spark plug question- it hasnt had the 60k maintenance done but will be done in the next week or so. so im thinking the plugs could def use a change.

draft6969 03-01-2011 01:02 PM

Well my liberty did that a while back and I called my uncle (he's a mechanic) and what happened to mine was the battery had died for a while (it was parked) and once I jumped it off, it started running just like you are describing. I was told that when it loses all electrical meaning battery dying or being removed for a extended amount of time the computer has to recalculate its self, but mine did that for about a week and one day I just started it and let it run for around a hour at my house till it fixed itself, and it never did it again. I don't know if this is what happened before yours started acting up, but since it sounded exactly like what mine did, I thought I would through it out there.

2005JGC 03-01-2011 03:08 PM

Start your car, pop the hood. grab the throttle position sensor firmly (still mounted to the throttle body) and move it around. If your idle wonders around while your putting pressure on the sensor you need a new TPS.

The TPS sensor is SUPER common on the 4.7l. ANY idle concerns that is the first place I look.