Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   To lift or not to lift (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/to-lift-or-not-to-lift-19612.html)

Sskafar 03-01-2011 12:23 PM

To lift or not to lift

Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on lifting my 2001 wj. I don't do much off roading but really like the look of the 2 inch lift on the wj. I do tow a boat often though. I'm in the market for new rims and tires so now is the time to decide. So the few questions I have are:

Will my highway and road driving quality be poor or not as good as stock?

Besides a budget boost kit what else needs to be modified?
Track bar, transfer case lower, shocks, etc
(already have front and rear addco sways and KOR steering HD stabilizer)

Who seems to have the best 2in kit?

What would be the biggest tires I can run on 18 in Saharah rubicon wheels?

Just looking for some info from guys that have done this mod.

If there is too much to consider I might just add the 3/4 in spacers to my upcountry springs. I don't want to be fighting death wobble which I heard some people get as I actually went through it already with no lift! Wish there was a full 1 inch kit.

Thanks,

Scott

206WJ 03-01-2011 05:26 PM

Re: To lift or not to lift

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sskafar (Post 366922)

Hi Scott! Let me tell you what experience I had with these questions you had.

Will my highway and road driving quality be poor or not as good as stock? This really depends on the tires you run, and the sway bars. For example the more sidewall you have you won't have as good of cornering grip. You already have upgraded sway bars, so I don't think you would have much of an issue. I Run without a rear sway bar about 60% of the time without issue.

Besides a budget boost kit what else needs to be modified?
Track bar, transfer case lower, shocks, etc
(already have front and rear addco sways and KOR steering HD stabilizer) At 2" you will want extended rear sway bar endlinks, and probably extended bump stops. But without much wheeling and rough driving you would be okay with stock. The other parts don't really become an issue until about 3" of lift on the WJ.

Who seems to have the best 2in kit? That's a hard question. Will probably cause great debate. It really depends on what you want to spend, and what condition your shocks are in. Some people run spacers, and it works fine. Personally I run OME lift parts, and love the ride. But I now run OME shocks, springs, and spacers on top of that to clear the 32's.

What would be the biggest tires I can run on 18 in Saharah rubicon wheels? Depends on the lift and kind of driving. I'd be safe and say a 31" diamater combo with 2" would be max without much wheeling.

I don't want to be fighting death wobble which I heard some people get as I actually went through it already with no lift! I had no issues with it until I got over 3", and now I run 2 OME steering stabilizers and it's amazing! Bigger tires will afffect this though. Check all your tie rod ends and replace any warn ones. I found that one of mine wasn't all the way torqued down, and re-torqued the castle nut with a ned cotter-pin and my steering got much better.

I hope that helped a bit. Good luck!

Sskafar 03-01-2011 09:02 PM

Re: To lift or not to lift

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply! I changed my tie rod ends last year to all moog parts as I actually had death wobble on my stock jeep! It was a combo of bad TRE's, steering stabilizer warped rotors, alignment and tire balance before I finally eliminated it. I would definitely only do a max 2in lift and close to 31 inch tires would make me happy. Since I have upcountry springs I was thinking of just doing spacers and shocks. Although I have nothing but good info on the OME spring kits. I have about 60k on a set of mx6 shocks and they are rusted pretty bad so I will be changing them. I Was going to go with bilstein hd shocks

Scott