Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Grand Willys project

383K views 2K replies 163 participants last post by  CNY_WK2 
#1 · (Edited)
This project has been brewing in my head for many years and been slowing gather parts and building a workshop and sheds to be able to do it.

The plan is to build a bit of a hotrod from using all the running gear, wiring, instruments, seats etc for one donor vehicle as much as possible.

Back in December 2007 I bought a Willys Pickup off eBay but it was a year before I got it home as had nowhere to store it. After much jumping through hoops with the council I built my workshop to house it.

After much looking and watching insurance auctions I was finally able to get a donor for the project. Ended up with a 2008 WH/WK Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi. It was first registered in 2009 and 12 months later T boned by a Harley rider doing a 100 mph! Hit it so hard that the foot well locked the throttle and he steered off the road into a paddock until he hit a tree.

One day these two will become one.

Getting the Grand into the workshop.

The Grand is in place ready for lots of measurements and then the strip down can begin!

Got a start on the project this week. Started by taking every measurement I could think of so I can setup all the suspension under the Willys when it gets transferred across. Also been labeling every wiring plug that I have found so far. Done the whole engine bay and have it all disconnected ready for removing once I can get to the others ends of the harness under the dash. Also unbolted every panel that can come off and removed the seats.

Being careful not to damage any of the trim when taking it apart in case I can sell any that I don't use.

Still go a few more things like the chrome roof bars, rear bumper and tail-lights to go outside.

Airbag under the dash cover was quite fiddly to get out.

What it looks like under the dash with the top cover off. Going to be fun getting all that into my Willys Pickup later.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: The big strip has begun!

Looks like a lot of fun. Reminds me of building Rock Crawler Buggies with my friends from scratch. Haven't done it in a while.

Reactions: Patrick-A51
This post has been deleted
#374 ·

Few more mock up photos

This is with my trailer wheel and tyres fitted. They are a 235x80x17 ( 31.8") instead of the Grand's in 245x65x17 (29.5") in the other photos before this.

This is the stock axle location as well.

Think the tall skinny look works well with the old truck and hotrod look I am going for.
Man I really like!!! Good Luck on your project!

#12 ·

This looks like a helluva project! Cant wait to see the end results!

Reactions: MaineHD
#13 ·

Could continue this thread here if it is alright but was only going to show the stripping part to keep it on topic and none of the build due to the section it is in.

Also I have been getting some enquires about the taillights. They are going to be up for sale and are free of any marks that I can see. Will put it up on US eBay in a fews days time and let everyone here know when I do to keep it fair.

Cheers

#21 · (Edited)

Got the steering column out today along with the centre console and shifter. Just untangling the dash harness and labeling it all.

Got my first chunk of wiring harness out.
This is just part of the under dash section!

The is the main dash member that just unbolts. It supports the steering column and all the heater/AC parts as well as the radio/navigation and heater controls etc.
Planning to install the whole thing into the Willys so I can bolt everything to it like it was in the Grand.

Starting to look a lot less in there now.

Got all the lining off the sides and seats belts etc out today plus the carpet. More time labeling everything as well. Still have the roof console and lining left to do up top and the HVAC system before I can remove more wiring.

#22 ·

Just further on the G sensor, is there a crystal visible anywhere externally?
Reason I ask is in my experience, often after an accident these sensors have exceeded their maximum calibration, and the way the factory indicates that is by a visible delicate crystal.
If not, it may be something to keep in mind if you have any unusual problems once the project is complete.

On that, are you hoping to use the original ECU etc or are you installing an aftermarket stand alone? My thinking would suggest the latter a much easier to work solution.

#28 ·

Just further on the G sensor, is there a crystal visible anywhere externally?
Reason I ask is in my experience, often after an accident these sensors have exceeded their maximum calibration, and the way the factory indicates that is by a visible delicate crystal.
If not, it may be something to keep in mind if you have any unusual problems once the project is complete.

On that, are you hoping to use the original ECU etc or are you installing an aftermarket stand alone? My thinking would suggest the latter a much easier to work solution.
Just checked and nothing like that on the yaw sensor. Hoping it will be alright seeing the impact was not enough to set any of the airbags off.
Will be using the whole loom and ECU from the Grand so all will plug back together. Will just remove things like the whole airbag circuit, rear doors etc from it.

#25 ·

sick build bro...i'll be watching this thread closely

Reactions: Patrick-A51
#26 ·

Awesome plan, should be fun and challenging project but certainly one that can be done!

Any reason you chose a Grand Cherokee to swap into that truck body versus a sports car or something more hot rod-ish per say? Not saying this is a bad choice or won t work, but if your looking to use the truck for it designed functionality you should certainly have an awesome vehicle! Ill be watching this as well