Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   3 Month Update (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/3-month-update-19711.html)

JohnS 03-03-2011 09:36 AM

3 Month Update

It's my Overland's three month anniversary today. Picked it up Dec. 3, 2010.

This is an easy update. I haven't had any problems at all to speak of. I'm still enjoying the WK2 very much.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A couple of observations;
- HEMI fuel economy is still a little disappointing, but not surprising for a vehicle this size. Higher gas prices aren't helping.
- I've got a little battle damage from all the salt and sand on our roads. I got a small stone chip in the passenger side chrome mirror cover. But it looks like the chrome plating on the plastic cover is delaminating around the chip. In retrospect, I should have applied 3M chip guard to the chrome covers. I've got the chip guard on the front hood & fascia of the Jeep already.

I'm looking forward to driving the Jeep in better weather. C'mon Spring!:)

moosehead 03-03-2011 10:32 AM

Re: 3 Month Update

Thumbsup, good to hear JS. Also good advice to clear bra the mirrors, some also do the same with the A pillars here in the mountains.

I'm in the process of replacing my chrome mirror covers with stock paint colored ones from another member. If they go on cleanly to my vehicle, I'd be happy to flip you mine on the cheap.

JohnS 03-03-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 368277)
Thumbsup, good to hear JS. Also good advice to clear bra the mirrors, some also do the same with the A pillars here in the mountains.

I'm in the process of replacing my chrome mirror covers with stock paint colored ones from another member. If they go on cleanly to my vehicle, I'd be happy to flip you mine on the cheap.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have a replacement set.:cool:

It looks like they are relatively easy to change. The mirror lense has to be rotated out of the way so you can get a screwdriver in behind to remove the nternal cover mounting screw(s?). The cover should just pop off and the new one snaps back in place and is held on with the same mounting screw(s?).

JF_Inferno 03-03-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnS (Post 368254)
It's my Overland's three month anniversary today. Picked it up Dec. 3, 2010.

This is an easy update. I haven't had any problems at all to speak of. I'm still enjoying the WK2 very much.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A couple of observations;
- HEMI fuel economy is still a little disappointing, but not surprising for a vehicle this size. Higher gas prices aren't helping.
- I've got a little battle damage from all the salt and sand on our roads. I got a small stone chip in the passenger side chrome mirror cover. But it looks like the chrome plating on the plastic cover is delaminating around the chip. In retrospect, I should have applied 3M chip guard to the chrome covers. I've got the chip guard on the front hood & fascia of the Jeep already.

I'm looking forward to driving the Jeep in better weather. C'mon Spring!:)

"delamintaing" sounds like a Warranty issue...;) free repair might be in your future. Take it to the dealer and point out the flaw of said "delaminating" and don't even mention the 'chip'...

Chip...? What Chip?... Who said Chip? :D

JohnS 03-03-2011 06:32 PM

I had a chance to review the Mopar procedure for replacing the mirror cover. You need to pry out the mirror lens and disconnect the mirror heat/dimming connector. There's a couple screws that need to be removed. The cover has 5 tabs that need to be pried to loosen the cover for removal. The new cover snaps in place, and the screws need to be replaced. The mirror lens then needs to be reconnected and replaced. It's a relatively simple procedure. However, there is a risk of cracking the mirror lens when prying it out of the mirror housing.