Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Few questions before I pull the trigger... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/few-questions-before-i-pull-the-trigger-19719.html)

shamus 03-03-2011 12:02 PM

Few questions before I pull the trigger...

Hey everyone! New member here and have been searching this forum for about a week. Had a few final questions that maybe you could help me with...

Looking at a Limited with a luxury and off road package.

-Do dealers still do rustproofing? If so, is it wise to do it or a scam?

-Ive read alot about this lifetime warranty. Is this something you guys are doing?

-If the sticker price for the above options is $42,040, what price do you think I should be shooting for? Had a a few E quotes around $38,500.

-What would be the best available financing I could get from a dealer? Is that something that can be haggled with?

-Besides taxes, doc and destination charge, what other hidden fees should I be aware of? I live in Chicago if that helps.

Thanks for any help!

Technosavant 03-03-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Few questions before I pull the trigger...

Rustproofing- yes, they still do it, and it's generally a scam.

Lifetime warranty- I didn't. Your money, your peace of mind. IMO, the cost of the warranty will fix a lot. Do beware though, dealers now seem to be pushing third party warranties more than the manufacturer ones. IMO, third party warranties are foolish.

Price- those look like good prices.

Financing- feel free to look around. Dealers can sometimes get you a good deal; they have multiple places they can check, but if you're a member of a credit union or something, don't feel bad for bringing your own financing.

Fees- Pick the right dealer and it isn't a problem.

shamus 03-03-2011 01:02 PM

Thanks! Regarding the fees, I wanted to know what others i can expect because Im crunching the numbers to see if I can really swing this.

NeoStrom 03-03-2011 01:10 PM

About the pricing, check out the "Tread Lightly" program. For a minimal fee, I think it's $60 for 3 years, you become a member and a guaranteed 1% BELOW invoice! I think lots of people on this forum used it successfully. Just read everything on the site and make sure your dealer participates in the "Affiliates" program.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Nouveau Redneck 03-03-2011 01:30 PM

Financing depends on what area you live in and your credit rating. Some dealers will try to get you into a financing package that's not the lowest rate he can get for you because he can get a kickback from the bank. It's best to go to your credit union if you have one or to a local bank and at least have their rates printed out and in your hand when you go to the dealer.

We had a pre-approval from our credit union for the full amount of the list price plus taxes, tags, etc. for our Overland at a darn good rate. We told the dealer that and wanted to just know their best bottom line price so we could go back to the credit union to get a check cut, and low and behold the dealer was able to find us financing for the same length of time at a little more than 0.25% less than our credit union was going to give us, so we went with the dealer's bank. I know that if we hadn't had the pre-approval from our credit union that he wouldn't have worked so hard to find us such a low rate, so be armed. We also went in with printouts of every Stone White Hemi Overland within a 50 mile radius of our house, showing other dealers' "special internet pricing" so they knew we had done our homework.

shamus 03-03-2011 01:32 PM

Thanks Neo, I saw that. Is it that good of a deal? These E quotes seem better assuming Edmunds is accurate with their invoice price.

JoeSchmoe007 03-03-2011 01:38 PM

+1 on what Techno said on third-party warranties. I haven't purchased any yet but considering doing it before my first year of ownership is up - the price of Chrysler warranty goes up after that.

mrmotoguzzi00 03-03-2011 01:45 PM

not to hijack the thread too much but the dealers DO get kickbacks from the banks if they finance enough vehicles through them. So the dealer IS making money when you use their bank.

mjw930 03-03-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00 (Post 368417)
not to hijack the thread too much but the dealers DO get kickbacks from the banks if they finance enough vehicles through them. So the dealer IS making money when you use their bank.

True but if the rate you get is as or better than what you can get on your own there's no issue. It's only when you don't make the effort to secure your own financing or at least find out what you can be pre-approved for before you sit down with the finance manager that you have a problem.

I was approved with a couple places before I asked the FI manager to give it his best shot. He ended up getting an 1/2 point lower with Ally so I went with him. I hope he made a couple bucks because he did provide me a service.

shamus 03-04-2011 05:09 PM

Thanks for the great advice all!

2011RitterGC 03-04-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamus (Post 368338)
Hey everyone! New member here and have been searching this forum for about a week. Had a few final questions that maybe you could help me with...

Looking at a Limited with a luxury and off road package.

-If the sticker price for the above options is $42,040, what price do you think I should be shooting for? Had a a few E quotes around $38,500.

-Besides taxes, doc and destination charge, what other hidden fees should I be aware of? I live in Chicago if that helps.

Thanks for any help!

Thats a good price but make sure that it includes the destination charge. That should be included in the MSRP. DOnt forget plates and/or title fees.