Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Car wash question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/car-wash-question-19729.html)

AAAA 03-03-2011 03:12 PM

Car wash question

When taking WK2 through a twirling and dancing rags car wash, do your fold in your outside mirrors? So far I have only gone to touchless, but spinning rags is closer to home. Thanks.
:detailer:

Navy1 03-03-2011 03:16 PM

Re: Cash wash question

I take mine through one that is very reputable where I live and they always push the mirrors in. I only run it through during very cold winter days when there is salt I need off. Otherwise I wash myself.

mjw930 03-03-2011 03:16 PM

WOW, brace yourself for all the anti-car wash crowd to tell you how you are going to permanently ruin your ride.....

A lot will depend on the type of wash but you can't go wrong folding them in. I don't think it will cause any harm either way but why tempt fate.

AAAA 03-03-2011 03:34 PM

Thanks. I know a lot of people envision the dancing rags as full of sand, but I never have had a scratching problem. After all there is water being sprayed continually on them and they are spinning.

As far as outside mirrors go. After driving my wife's new Volvo through a couple of years ago, I noticed that the driver's side mirror cover and directional light were gone. We went back to the car wash. The attendant stopped the wash and came out with 3 left side mirrors for us to pick among. They paid over $500 to get us fixed... cheerfully I might add!

JDM12 03-03-2011 03:48 PM

i was instantly reminded of this lol

on the damage topic....i have had noticeable scratches after years of auto washes. I would rather have some repairable scratching than rust from the unreal amount of road salt they use around here.

OneCent 03-04-2011 02:58 AM

Re: Car wash question

i think if you bring your car to a "car wash" just take a look if its well maintained. If you do a handwash, you have to be carefully too not to scratch the paint.

mjw930 03-04-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneCent (Post 368910)
i think if you bring your car to a "car wash" just take a look if its well maintained. If you do a handwash, you have to be carefully too not to scratch the paint.

Agreed. I'm lucky to have a very highly rated and well maintained automatic wash 1 mile from the house. They use the latest soft cloth, slow rotating "brushes" and spend a lot of money maintaining their equipment. You wouldn't believe the number of Merc's, BMW's and high end SUV's go through there every day. I put my last 3 SUV's through that wash at least twice a month and both were sold with finishes that were as good, if not better than the way they were delivered from the dealership. I also make sure I keep the paint properly treated and sealed and trust me, the abrasive action on my local car wash is much less than the road debris the truck is subject to on a rainy day going down the interstate.

GTOGreg 03-05-2011 11:43 AM

I mix the two, handwashing and going through the auto wash if it is cold out. It is ok, just don't follow a snow covered vehicle through. Do not use the kind with brushes, you want the one that has the long towel attachments (whatever they're called). These are safer than many handwashes, especially the outfits where the driers come up and start drying the car in a circular motion - that is what creates your spider webbing right there. You will notice that the auto washes I mention have soft surfaces and touch the car just in the way wind moves over the car...this is the appropriate way to clean the car.

The reason I mix between auto washes and hand washes is that I've heard that the chemicals used in the auto washes can delaminate clear coat over time. When I have some spare time it is a fun activity to do anyway, as well as gives me an opportunity to inspect the vehicle. It also gives you the chance to clean those little areas the auto washes can't reach. Lastly, I "Zaino" the car(s) twice a year to cover any light scratches and protect against new ones.

Another thing: If you have the option to pay $3-$4 more for a deionized water option, do it. It will make a big difference in how your car looks as it doesn't dry with water spots. Drive in, drive out, in less than 5 minutes. It's a beautiful thing.

mjw930 03-05-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGreg (Post 369626)
Another thing: If you have the option to pay $3-$4 more for a deionized water option, do it. It will make a big difference in how your car looks as it doesn't dry with water spots. Drive in, drive out, in less than 5 minutes. It's a beautiful thing.

$3 - $4!!!! I've got well over $400 into my personal hand wash water treatment :D

I know, you were talking about an option at the carwash, I'm just saying it's a no-brainer.

http://crspotless.com/images/magick_...260_shadow.jpg

GTOGreg 03-05-2011 11:27 PM

Yeah, I have the same one. Got it at Costco a couple years ago. The refills are what's expensive, especially with the DC20. Does a great job! I wash with regular water and do a final rinse with the DI water. Lastly, follow it up with a dedicated leaf blower until totally dry. My neighbors think I'm crazy I'm sure...they may be onto something.

MasterWK 03-05-2011 11:38 PM

Use touchless if you're going to use a machine... Otherwise do it by hand. Never use the rag-slappers.

Cperez 03-05-2011 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGreg (Post 369947)
Yeah, I have the same one. Got it at Costco a couple years ago. The refills are what's expensive, especially with the DC20. Does a great job! I wash with regular water and do a final rinse with the DI water. Lastly, follow it up with a dedicated leaf blower until totally dry. My neighbors think I'm crazy I'm sure...they may be onto something.

I bit on the Mr. Clean carwash system a couple of years ago, the one that uses the cartridges to de-ionize the final rinse cycle. I thought it worked pretty well but got tired of buying the refills.