Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Help: Klutch Needs A Second Opinion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/help-klutch-needs-a-second-opinion-19740.html)

White Chocolate 03-03-2011 08:07 PM

Help: Klutch Needs A Second Opinion

Hey Guys

So this winter I have been having major troubles with the Jeep, its rather depressing because I'm at the point where I might put it up for sale.

I have an issue, I need some help and some advice as to what may be wrong, and what I could possibly do about it.

This has happened three times, but EVERY time we get a minor-major snowfall, I believe snow gets into the vents near the windshield, causing the fan system to not work. That means no heat, no air nothing, its completely dead.

So the dealership told me the fan was going, well we replaced it, nothing, still does it.

I know SOMETHING has to be wrong because this never happened last winter, and I know many of you probably dont have this problem.

So......ideas? solutions??

Chaoul1 03-03-2011 08:33 PM

Re: Help: Klutch Needs A Second Opinion

When they replaced the Fan did it work? If not then you should take it back and demand that they fix the problem since you spent X amount on the work to get it fixed! Right?

White Chocolate 03-03-2011 08:39 PM

The problem only occurs when we get a huge amount of snow.

It happened the week before I took it in, and also 3 days after I got the new fan put it.

The Jeep is currently at the dealership, and they phoned today and said they might not have a fix for it....

I was just wondering if anyone else has a second opinion or if this has happened to anyone else?

White Chocolate 03-04-2011 04:00 PM

Bump

08Hemi 03-04-2011 04:05 PM

so it snows and the heat/ac doesnt work after? then it warms up outside and/or snow melts and it works? have you tried covering the area you think the snow is getting in and seeing if it works while snowing and right when its done snowing? that would be my first thought...then you could find out if its the snow that causes it or just the cold...I know there have been some issues with the recircualtion gear in our air systems (mine was just replaced as it spit hot/cold air after you turned it off)

that is weird though...

White Chocolate 03-04-2011 04:11 PM

It snows, then I go outside and I attempt to whipe the snow off, however, plenty of snow has gotten into the vents already...

However, when the snow is stuck in the vents, the HVAC system does not work, doesnt blow any air, completely dead.

And it doesnt work until I put a heater on the jeep and warm it up so that it melts.

So when this happens, if I attempt to drive it, when I get in the vehicle and breathe, it completely fogs up.

Covering up the area is my next choice, I didnt really wanna go this route since that is a shitty solution, I know you americans get snow LOL, and none of you guys have to do this.

Woahh woah...tell me about your system blowing air when its turned off?

Everytime this issue happens, I have the same issue, I play with the dial, and nothing works but sometime it kicks in and when I have the heater in the OFF position, I get air blowing....this only works sometimes when the system tries to kick in....

MasterWK 03-04-2011 04:14 PM

If possible you should put a small/tight mesh to block the vents from snow?

08Hemi 03-04-2011 04:14 PM

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...rculation+gear

here you go...so if the snow is getting in there, is there a way to stop it permanently? or mesh to minimize the snow? seems the dealer should be able to figure that out...but I think I know where it is entering the Jeep and that prolly cannot be sealed up completly. I would def not accept "there may not be a fix" from the dealer...like you said you should not have to cover your vents with plywood or whatever so you u can use your heat/ac after if snows

White Chocolate 03-04-2011 04:29 PM

Exactly.....I agree. Seems like the dealership is getting lazy and doesn't give a shit.

I might try the mesh idea. Atleast it will block the snow. However, im scared the mesh will ice up, not allowing any air to move in and out of the system...

06RC22 03-04-2011 04:55 PM

it doesnt make sense that the snow would cause the entire system to stop working... Could if be a faulty connection somewhere in the electrical that doesnt function properly when the temperature drops below a certain level?? If the vent was blocked (with snow) or any other media, i feel like the heater would still attempt to pull air in and have power to it... just my thoughts.

White Chocolate 03-04-2011 07:01 PM

I think its a combination of the heater being blocked by snow, and possibly the fan motor itself being frozen up due to the snow/water conditions inside...

I picked it up from the dealership again today, once again they said they could not do anything....

so I guess im on my own on this one.......Might try just throwing a blanket over top at night time to prevent snow from going into the vent ducts

StoneCold 03-05-2011 05:15 AM

I think covering it is the only option you may have Kyle. You've had some pretty extreme temps over there, so that won't be helping.

My Jeep has a habit of suddenly deciding it doesn't want to start properly, just after it snows. You could set your watch by it! Rest of the time its fine, but as soon as it snows, boom! A week of bad starts.

It's weird cause me and my mechanic have had it in bits and can't find a single fault?! It must be a Jeep thing:confused: