Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Is there a big power difference Hemi vs. 4.7? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/is-there-a-big-power-difference-hemi-vs-4-7-a-19771.html)

stefano 03-04-2011 03:55 PM

Is there a big power difference Hemi vs. 4.7?

I've been looking around at a few 2008 and 2009 Limiteds and Overlands and I'm wondering if there is a huge, noticable difference in power/torque between the Hemi vs. the 300 HP 4.7 V8? If I buy a 4.7 I plan on adding a Magnaflow catback, a CAI and if I can chip it I will. That is if I don't find a Hemi. If it is a Hemi, I still add an exhaust and CAI. Anyway, thanks ahead for any input.

08Hemi 03-04-2011 04:01 PM

Re: Is there a big power difference Hemi vs. 4.7?

there are guys on here that will back both engines up...the 4.7 is a great engine IMO. I had one in my 02 Dakota and they made improvements over the years. I have a 08 5.7 now, and if you do get the Hemi I would recommend getting an 09+...they juiced the hemi a bit in 09. Either way, with an intake/exhaust/tune you will be very impressed with both. For a lot of towing and steep grades and/or long hauls, I would prolly recommend the hemi...for daily use, maybe a tad better gas mileage and still plenty of power I would go 4.7 I will lets others chime in, but thats my 0.02 FWIW!

jeepgcoman 03-04-2011 04:34 PM

I agree with 08Hemi. I haven't ever owned a 4.7, but I've also never heard anything bad about them on any of the forums. In some cases they may even be a little more trouble free than the 5.7's. Also, there seems to be about an equal number of aftermarket tuners, exhausts, intakes, etc. for both. The one thing I don't know is whether the 4.7's have readily available ported heads, cams, etc. like the Hemi's do, in case you plan on doing some serious mods. One other thing to consider, IMO, is that a properly working MDS on the 5.7 will yield a little better fuel economy than the 4.7. Bottom line, IMO, is I'll take my Hemi's. I've had one (LX) for almost 7 years now and haven't had to do anything except scheduled maintenance. I've had my WK for about a year and a half now and, other than scheduled maintenance, have only had an EGR valve go bad, and yesterday I changed the O2 sensors, because the originals were starting to get lazy in their response.

sean6365 03-04-2011 04:50 PM

I also agree with 08Hemi. I also had a dakota with the 4.7 in it. Great truck with good power. IMO though I think the 5.7 has noticeable power difference. But thats comparing it my dakota not a WK with a 4.7.

1_\/\_WK 03-04-2011 05:08 PM

I love my 4.7L. I test drove a HEMI and it felt more powerful but I went with the 4.7L and love it. Its a strong engine and sounds great without any performance mods (they will be added soon though :)) On occasion I pull a horse trailer which weighs 1900 lb. empty and roughly +1000 lb. when 1 horse is on. Not to mention I have a 2.25 lift and bigger tires. Pulls the trailer great. It would be nice to have a HEMI but the 4.7 is enough motor for me! I am happy with my decision, especially since gas around here is steadily on the rise! Good luck with whatever you side with.

Kman09JGC 03-05-2011 10:42 AM

I have never owned a hemi but I had a 99 WJ 4.7 and I have 09 WK 4.7 now. The 4.7 is a very strong engine. My 99 4.7 ran strong for 10 yrs without a problem. Sold it to my brother when I bought my 09. If you go with the 4.7 go with 08-09's. They compare with the 05-08 hemi. I have driven a 07 hemi and a 09 hemi. The 09 hemi was fast and pulled hard. You cant go wrong with either one. Good luck!

jeepnjeep 03-05-2011 10:49 AM

08Hemi pretty much said it all. I believe the Hemi requires 91 octaine gas too, right? Real world gas mileage is so close as not to be a factor from what I've read. The 4.7 in My '05 with a drop in K&N and a Magnaflow muffler has plenty of power to me and the newer ones are even more powerful totally stock. If your not a real power freak and mostly just drive every day with some towing too, the 4.7 is plenty. Great engine.

08limited 03-05-2011 11:01 AM

i would go with the 4.7 i had one in a 2000,2004 and now i just bought a 2008 with a hemi and hate it i get about 11 mpg versus 14mpg in the 04 and i have to run 89 octane not 91

jeff05wk 03-05-2011 12:02 PM

I absolutely love my 4.7, but I will be getting a 6.4 in 2013 (when I can buy a used one for $15,000 less than new) Whether it comes in a Grand Cherokee SRT8 or a Challenger SRT8 I do not know yet.

offaxis 03-05-2011 01:12 PM

I have a 05 4.7 and i love it. My mileage is around 16-17.

boss_hemi 03-05-2011 01:57 PM

if power is a big deal, get the HEMI. i raced a 4.7 and walked away no problem, the 4.7 is a good motor and strong "enough", but the price won't be too different from a 4.7 and when people see your jeep they'll ask, "you gotta HEMI?" and you can say "yeah, it's got a HEMI" lol.

jeepgcoman 03-05-2011 04:13 PM

On the Hemi, unless 08's and above have changed, 89 is recommended and 87 in "OK". I've run 87 in my Hemi LX since new and also run it in my Hemi WK. If you're running 91>, unless you're racing, you're wasting your money. In most cases you'll also get worse mileage.

Realistically, if both 4.7/5.7 properly working, were driven by the same person, the same way over the same route, the in town mileage would be pretty close on both. On the highway the Hemi would have a slight advantage due to the MDS. Anyone that is getting 10-11 mpg with either drives mostly stop and go, drives like they stole it all the time, or has issue(s) with the way the vehicle is setup/tuned, or in the case of the Hemi, may have the wrong weight oil in the engine....among other things. I do believe that the Hemi's are more sensitive when the slightest thing is not "right on".....i.e PCV system contamination, MAP Sensor, EGR Valve, spark plug type and correct weight oil.