Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Cell Tether/MiFi Cards VS AutoNet Uconnect - Experience? Opinions?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/cell-tether-mifi-cards-vs-autonet-uconnect-experience-opinions-19796.html)

Dougcjohn 03-05-2011 10:25 AM

Cell Tether/MiFi Cards VS AutoNet Uconnect - Experience? Opinions??

It was touched on in prev thread; ck'ing if any updates on the subject.

I personally use a Sprint EVO rooted w WiFi Tether & Office Verz MiFi Hotspot: Basically the same WiFi Hotspot service on 2 different Networks. In travels and hotel rooms I can see zones of stronger signal for one or the other so it's nice to have both.

While driving, it's on dash allowing Wife or passengers to use internet. Which is a great feature, especially when I enjoy driving late to maximize travel time. I have noticed lags, low bandwidth, and dropped signal at times... although normally a reconnect without problem.

I read unimpressed expressions towards the AutoNet / Uconnect WiFi hardware and subscription service, and I've read a few technology reviews expressing it's an exceptional mobile service due to it's multi-point channel receiver that utilizes multiple cell transponders from multiple Network providers at the same time while in motion.

This technology sounds logical and understandable that segmented bandwidth combined would provide improved mobile service. I wasn't interested to fasten a WiFi Router into 1 POV for monthly fee until they recently released a model that can be moved to multiple rigs.

Sound Cool, but how does that equate to real life operation? Does anyone have personal experience? Has anyone compared both while driving? Any comments pro or con?

Cperez 03-05-2011 10:37 AM

Re: Cell Tether/MiFi Cards VS AutoNet Uconnect - Experience? Opinions??

Dougcjohn, my experience is limited to the mini-review I did on the VZW MiFi (possibly the thread you referenced in your original post). Since my and my family's use of it is not mission-critical (although my wife does tend to do a lot of work on her laptop while we're road tripping), it's a great solution for us and I never noticed any pattern of dropped connections.

The only other comment I'd toss in is that now both the VZW and AT&T iPhones will provide personal hotspot functionality. AT&T just announced that this week, I believe. However they gouge you by giving you a rather parsimonious bucket of bandwidth that is dedicated to that use...2GB/mo with AT&T, I believe. I think the MiFi is 5GB/month. This might be a good solution for some depending on usage patterns, expense account coverage, geography, etc. But overall for my money the dedicated pocket hotspot solution is solid for us.

Was not aware that there was now a model of the Uconnect solution that could be shared by multiple rigs. That might actually change the value proposition a bit for some people, but it still seems more expensive (acquisition cost and subscription cost) than the pocket hotspot approach. Need to look into that, thanks for heads up.

Lingohocken 03-05-2011 12:16 PM

How 'bout this?
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20039104-48.html

Dougcjohn 03-05-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 369644)

Lingohocken, that's pretty cool, Android OS in media center!!
Jumping subject; The article sited "system monitoring" of car... which brings new question, is there any app for Mopar and Uconnect Systems? GM offers an App similar to Saab's... does Mopar?

Dougcjohn 03-05-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 369596)
Dougcjohn, my experience is limited to the mini-review I did on the VZW MiFi (possibly the thread you referenced in your original post). Since my and my family's use of it is not mission-critical (although my wife does tend to do a lot of work on her laptop while we're road tripping), it's a great solution for us and I never noticed any pattern of dropped connections.

Cperez, Sounds like we're on the same floor. A nice feature but not vital.
Moving to a mobile unit would need to provide substantially more quality of service. I question the gains, so it's a ponder while I hear what others experience.

Cperez 03-05-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougcjohn (Post 369652)
Moving to a mobile unit would need to provide substantially more quality of service. I question the gains, so it's a ponder while I hear what others experience.

FWIW, my kids never complained that they were getting dumped off of Facebook or World of Warcraft. :cool: