Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Amp Mounting HELP!!!

8K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  2005 WK 
#1 ·
Ok, so this has been bothering me for a while now. I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee with a single 12" and 400 watt Kicker amp. The amp is currently mounted to the back of the seat but now I cant fold the seat down and use up that space. Has anyone found a hidden mounting spot for their amps. I've seen them under the rear cargo tray but I already have things in there and I really don't want to have to lose that. Has anyone mounted an amp under the back seat? Or even behind panels in the trunk?

This has been bothering me and I have no idea where else I could mount my amp where it will be out of site and safe from overheating. Thanks in advance.

Sam

#2 · (Edited)
How big is this amp? If its similar to my 600watt JBL mono block it will fit behind the left rear panel in the trunk. Youll have to move the Sirius box further in by sticking it behind the frame. There also happens to be a vent as well and Ive NEVER had overheating issues and its been there for over a year... nor has anyone else who has put one there that Ive read up on.

#3 ·
WOW! thanks a lot for the reply and the pic. My amp is a little bit smaller than your 600 watt JBL so I don't think I should have a problem. Will the amp fit on either side of the trunk area? I prefer to put it on the drivers side because thats where my power is coming from. Also, are the panels just clips and screws?

Once again thanks for your help, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

#4 · (Edited)
Yup. The left side will work as well... so long you dont have the factory Boston Acoustic system. Youll see in the pic above is sitting there on the left.

Removing the panel is simple.

1) Remove the center latch panel at the mouth of the gate (pull it off)
2) Remove Upper panel of the rear gate (pull it off)
3) Remove left upper quarter panel (pull it off)
4) Remove floor panel (held down by two nuts at the mouth of the trunk floor)
5) Remove left wall panel (held by two phillips head screws with clips) Unplug 12v accessory port if equipped.

This should take about 5-10 minutes.

Attachments

#5 ·
Also i would check under the rear seat. that is where my amps will probably go. just check the height of the amp and the seat and if it fits, it will be a easy install there.
this was my liberty's install where they were under the seat.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the help remmy, thats where I have been thinking to mount it but was to afraid to take anything apart. Once it warms up a little but here in Michigan I'm gonna go ahead and remount it. Once again thanks for your help and the pics.

I was thinking about under the backseat but not sure about the clearance issue. I guess the only way to find out it to test it and see if it fits. I might also check that out when I take apart the trunk area. Thanks for the idea draft6969.

#9 ·
i tried my mmats 1400 and it fit but it is tight, so just check it out, it either will or it wont. then you move on to the next idea. hey remmy where did your amp not fit? hight, width, or length?

#12 ·
i wonder if that is another design change between 05-07 and 08-10? im sure i have at least 2.5" of clearence. which is more than mine and your amps are. ill check when i get home. now you have me curious, then again i might just be loosing my mind LOL

#14 ·
well aren't you just the comedian.:lol: but it just so happens that i am right!!! well for the first 2" under the seat. then unfortunately it tapers off quickly. so i guess i measured the 2.5" and assumed it went the whole length of the seat. so it seems that once again the jeep engineers have stuck it to us:mad: oh yea and i admit it, i was wrong.:rolleyes:

#16 ·
I had my local car audio store do mine but they ran it through a grommet in the firewall on the drivers side. Its somewhere next to the brake booster but Im not sure exactly which one it is but if you can find any hole that fits the wire you can use it. I've also heard of people drilling through their firewall if you cant find an existing hole. Just make sure you seal it good whether its with a grommet or silicone.

Hope that helps!

#17 ·
Thanks man thats exactly what I needed, but now after wiring all the PAC harnesses i needed and changing out my battery, the MIL is on all the time, the aftermarket radio wont power on, nor will the factory radio work either. :confused: But thanks a lot for the help tho. Im back off to searching the forums again for help lol

#18 ·
Well when i installed my scosche wire harness, put in my radio and nothing. i checked the fuse box and it blew the fuse in the inside fuse box, so i changed it and still nothing so i looked under the hood and sure enough there was a fuse in there also burnt. i changed it and have never had a problem since.

#20 ·
Its always best to disconnect the Neg(-) terminal from your battery and you shouldnt blow any fuses. The reason the fuses blow is because disconnecting and connecting the harnesses from your radio causes short power bursts to and from your electrical system in turn popping the low amp fuses so you dont blow your radio.

As for your problem Shawty I would say disconnect the Neg(-) Batt Terminal and take your radio back out. Disconnect all the harnesses and one by one check the faces of the plastic plug-in connectors and check the little pins they go into. Make sure none of them are bent the wrong way or anything. Then carefully plug each connector back in until you feel it click. It may be a slight click but you should deff feel it. Double check all the connections and the remount your radio securly before putting the Neg(-) Batt cable back on.

Also when checking your fuses i suggest getting a fuse tester. They sell them at your local parts store and most of the time come in a pack with new fuses. Sometimes just by looking at a fuse you cant tell if it is truely bad. With the tester it lights up if your fuse is good.

Hopefully this works for you!

#21 ·
I will try what you suggested triggasrt and thanks for the info....BUT NOW MY WK WONT START!!!! The "battery light" was flashing but now it stays on and even the airbag light is on and the EVIC says to check gauges WTF...I feel like Im going to have it towed to a dealer tomorrow if I cant find some answers soon...I just bought the WK and this blows....I shouldve just had someone install the system instead of doing it myself...FML

#23 ·
Putting new life in this thread, but I'm about to put in a new system in my WK and I need to know how long of a power wire I will need. i know most kits come with 17ft. Enough to make it to the trunk space when wired cleanly along the driver's side doors?

#24 ·
it should be enough i have mine tucked clean throughout and i still had like a foot extra on mine after i installed the amp. im almost positive mine was 17 feet but you could always get and extra set of hands and stretch your wire out from front to back and see how much you have/need

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.