Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2011 Jeep FIre ONE MONTH OLD ! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2011-jeep-fire-one-month-old-19880.html)

txoil 03-07-2011 01:22 PM

2011 Jeep FIre ONE MONTH OLD !

This is serious...... I just purchased a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4. I was driving in Dallas during rush hour traffic, went to roll down my driver side window and opened the sunroof. White smoke started coming out from under the headliner. I thought is was very odd, me being a mechanical engineer tired to figure out what was going on. I rolled the window back up and shut the sunroof, when I did so the smoke stopped. Rolled window back down and the smoke started again. Looked for the nearest Jeep Dealer, found one but was shut down. Ford dealer was next door the service manager greeted me. Once I opened my drivers door to show him what was happening the smoke really started coming. By the time he went inside the headliner was in full flame. He ripped the sun visor off to try to stop the fire. You could see a spot in the hole that was a orange as a cigarette lighter. Went to disconnect the battery to stop the power. The jeep is at the selling dealer, Chrysler has hired a third party investigator. Legal team is already involved/ Dealers Service manager said that he has never seen this happen before. Most likely Detroit will want the jeep back to tear it apart to find out why this happened. This jeep only has 1500 miles on it and was less then 1 month old. No customizations or changes. Same config from the first day I bought it. What do I do guys.

robpp 03-07-2011 01:31 PM

Re: 2011 Jeep FIre ONE MONTH OLD !

get a lawyer and dont post anything that culd come back to bite you.......

contact your ins too. fire ins should cover it if jeep wont.

txoil 03-07-2011 01:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics from the fire.

White WK Swagga 03-07-2011 01:35 PM

^^^x2. I'd leave it as that. Say no more and post no pics to protect yourself. People have even had YouTube videos come back and bite them in the ass. Sorry to hear though. I know you work hard and buy nice things and this is the last thing you expected to happen.

Scottina06 03-07-2011 01:36 PM

looks like the wiring in the sunvisor arc'ed.....

Tell them you want a NEW Overland ASAP and compensation for your troubles....

Hollywood 03-07-2011 02:14 PM

Wow, kinda makes the shudder seem less serious??

wreckdive 03-07-2011 02:16 PM

Re: 2011 Jeep Fire Reason Unknown

Dang. . . glad everyone in the car was ok. Scary. Sounds like you're already doing everything that can be done. Hopefully Dealer is giving you a loaner. If I were Emperor of Chrysler, I'd be getting you a brand-new vehicle asap. But they won't likely do that, will they? Obviously fubar'd electronics or wiring, replaceable, as is the headliner. They should be able to diagnose, correct, repair and restore to "better-than-new", but what a major PITA for you. Not to mention the heartbreak of having your brand new ride start life being such a freaky disappointment! I hope the dealer, and Chrysler/Jeep, do the right thing by you, and you have a happier story to tell real soon.

xKILLROYx 03-07-2011 02:37 PM

ouch man, good luck with this stuff...let us know what happens in the outcome!

Cperez 03-07-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txoil (Post 370791)
Here are some pics from the fire.

Wow, that first pic looked like the Terminator's blown-out eye socket.

Good luck getting this resolved, txoil.

the1jake 03-07-2011 04:22 PM

Thanks for sharing that experience as well as posting pictures.

For myself, I wouldn't worry too much about your liability from posting pictures and sharing this... it's not like you're powering through a puddle and hydrolocked the engine. (thinking of the Wrangler JK who documented it and placed it on youtube hoping for support) This is a case where you were extremely lucky to have found a place to help you out. If not, we'd be seeing pictures of a smoldering WK2 somewhere in the wilds of Texas.

Lingohocken 03-07-2011 04:29 PM

One thing to be wary of is the smell. Everything in the interior may (or may not, your nose knows) have a smoky odor. If so, it's not likely to go away permanently even with scrubbing and deodorizers. They'd have to replace all cloth and leather in the cabin and thoroughly swab down all plastics to even hope to return your baby to a neutral smell.

andyh 03-07-2011 04:35 PM

Scary story.