Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   stupid ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/stupid-19903.html)

Rosewood 03-07-2011 07:00 PM

stupid ?

i have checked everywhere and now come to you guys. i have 8 way power heated seats. how do i move them to get to the battery. i know it says it has the fold flat system, but i cant seem to find it.

STIX 03-07-2011 07:07 PM

Re: stupid ?

I just moved the passenger seat all the way forward.

Then you can access the battey terminals from the rear passenger side (once you take the floor board cover off)

Rosewood 03-07-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STIX (Post 371050)
I just moved the passenger seat all the way forward.

Then you can access the battey terminals from the rear passenger side (once you take the floor board cover off)

tried that but could only get to one terminal, let alone remove it. does the seat have to come out?

kaflyboy 03-07-2011 09:18 PM

How would you access the battery under the seat if the battery is dead and you have power seats...? sounds like another stupid Volkswagen design...

Technosavant 03-07-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 371160)
How would you access the battery under the seat if the battery is dead and you have power seats...? sounds like another stupid Volkswagen design...

You hook up an outside power source to the jump start terminals under the hood, then operate the seat.

Rosewood 03-07-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 371164)
You hook up an outside power source to the jump start terminals under the hood, then operate the seat.

thats great but how does the front seat fold flat

berk483 03-07-2011 11:27 PM

I think the seat has to be all the way up and forward to give you the most access to the battery. As for taking it out I thought the seat had to be removed...I could very well be wrong though.

spiros 03-08-2011 01:26 PM

The battery in this model vehicle is indeed located under the
passenger?s front seat, however, there are remote locations located
under the hood with both a Remote Positive (+) Post (covered with
protective cap) and a Remote Negative (-) Post to assist in
jump-starting just as a driver would with vehicle's designed with the
battery in the engine compartment. Having power front seats should not
have any interference in being able to jump start the vehicle.

CHRYSLERS ANSWER

Nouveau Redneck 03-08-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 371164)

Ok, I'll bite...

Let's say that the battery dies because of a couple of internally shorted cells, or worse yet, it was physically damaged because the vehicle was in an accident. It's still connected to the remote jump start terminals and it's only running at 8 or 9 volts. You need to replace the bad battery. You hook up another 12 volt power source to the remote jump start terminals. Doesn't this cause a reverse current to run through at least some of the cells in the bad battery and become a fire and/or explosion hazard? I understand that they used an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery to reduce this kind of risk, but the risk is still there isn't it?

Nouveau Redneck 03-08-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosewood (Post 371046)
i have checked everywhere and now come to you guys. i have 8 way power heated seats. how do i move them to get to the battery. i know it says it has the fold flat system, but i cant seem to find it.

I believe that only the non-power seat models have the fold flat system in the front passenger seat.

Technosavant 03-08-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosewood (Post 371250)
thats great but how does the front seat fold flat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nouveau Redneck (Post 371622)
I believe that only the non-power seat models have the fold flat system in the front passenger seat.

Correct. Not every model has the fold flat seat, but even if they did, I fail to see how folding the seatback flat would improve access to something UNDERNEATH the seat. If moving the seat forward won't give enough access, the seat will need to come out. Certainly a pain, but I've seen every bit as bad in other vehicles- when I met my wife she was driving a Chevy Lumina, and the battery was concealed underneath the *ing washer fluid reservoir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nouveau Redneck (Post 371619)
Ok, I'll bite...

Let's say that the battery dies because of a couple of internally shorted cells, or worse yet, it was physically damaged because the vehicle was in an accident. It's still connected to the remote jump start terminals and it's only running at 8 or 9 volts. You need to replace the bad battery. You hook up another 12 volt power source to the remote jump start terminals. Doesn't this cause a reverse current to run through at least some of the cells in the bad battery and become a fire and/or explosion hazard? I understand that they used an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery to reduce this kind of risk, but the risk is still there isn't it?

First, if the battery was damaged in an accident, I'd wager that not only will you not be replacing it on your own, but you are likely vehicle shopping due to extreme damage to the vehicle.

Second, beats me if it's just a failed battery cell. Worst case, the seat must be removed. Pain in the butt, but as I said above, this is hardly the first vehicle to have a difficult to access battery. In theory, with the battery isolated from the extreme temperatures in the engine compartment, it will last much longer. Most owners will likely only need one or two battery replacements in the life of the vehicle. Even if one must remove the seat to do this, it isn't the end of the world. Changing sparkplugs in some transverse engine V-6 models would be more troublesome.

mjw930 03-08-2011 11:05 PM

Just move the seat all the way UP then all the way Forward. You will have plenty of room to get to both terminals and the battery can be lifted up and out from the rear without issue.

Nothing wrong with the design IMHO.