Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Emergency brake adjustment (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/emergency-brake-adjustment-19917.html)

TJXJWJ 03-07-2011 09:48 PM

Emergency brake adjustment

...just got done installing new EBC sport rotors on the back of my rig...now my e-brake isn't grabbing. Is it just as simple as turning the star adjusters and how far do I go?

Will it self-adjust?

2005JGC 03-08-2011 03:59 AM

Re: Emergency brake adjustment

yeah its just the star adjusters... I like to jack the rear end up (well I do it at work on a lift), turn the star wheel and spin the wheel regularly... Its going to be difficult with the lsd in the rear and center but you just want to get em close. get them to where you can just hear the brake drag then back it off a bit. Check the handle and go tighter from there, some on each side.

honestly I dont know how far you ran the adjuster back in, but when I do the brakes I tend to do an approx adjustment when I install the rotor or drum. tighten it up while its all dissasembled (but so I can still install the drum or rotor)... obviously your beyond that so I would just hit the star wheel.

TJXJWJ 03-08-2011 08:29 AM

Thanks man...I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight. I don't know why I thought those self-adjusted while backing up. I think I got them confused with regular rear drum brakes on some previous vehicles of mine. Will having the trans in N and the T-case in N help me be able to spin the rears more easily?

2005JGC 03-08-2011 03:22 PM

they do, I looked around on in diagnostics for operation or description that would explain how they adjusted, normal brake shoes adjust while the vehicle is reversing and the brakes are applied then released. I would imagin these would use the same principal but you would need to use the parking brake while in reverse then release... honestly I am not sure though, I just always do it manually considering I have to give the car back to a customer and not saying "it will get better".

BTW the transfercase in neutral would help considerably.

TJXJWJ 03-09-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 371654)
they do, I looked around on in diagnostics for operation or description that would explain how they adjusted, normal brake shoes adjust while the vehicle is reversing and the brakes are applied then released. I would imagin these would use the same principal but you would need to use the parking brake while in reverse then release... honestly I am not sure though, I just always do it manually considering I have to give the car back to a customer and not saying "it will get better".

BTW the transfercase in neutral would help considerably.

Thanks again man...did this last night and got my e-brake back!