Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   HIDs Cause Poor Radio output??! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/hids-cause-poor-radio-output-19934.html)

ech0sh4y 03-08-2011 09:15 AM

HIDs Cause Poor Radio output??!

I've been messing with this for a week or so and i thought I'd ask you guys. Installed the digital slim ballasts HIDs from a vendor on here and I've noticed that when I flip my lights on my radio get static. Some stations are worse than others but they all seem to be a little fuzzy. At first I had my ground hooked up to the same one as the radio antenna or so I thought. So I switched that. But now I'm thinking it must have something to do with frequencies? I've never had this problem before. Any ideas?

Thanks!

White Chocolate 03-08-2011 09:55 AM

Re: HIDs Cause Poor Radio output??!

Where exactly do you have your grounds located? And also do you have 1 relay or 2?

ech0sh4y 03-08-2011 10:09 AM

I have two relays and they are at factory grounds on the fenders/engine bay.

Chaoul1 03-08-2011 10:34 AM

Which vendor did you buy them from? Some HID's do this sometimes when you turn them on. Do you sometimes hear a "pop" static from the radio when you turn on your lights?

ech0sh4y 03-08-2011 10:49 AM

I believe it was the xenon depot guy. I'll have to check for the pop when i shut them off. It wouldn't be because these are supposedly "digital" ballasts would it?

swing4terps 03-08-2011 11:28 AM

I have the same problem. 1 relay (yes I know it should be two, I'm working on it) and no relays for the fogs. When I turn on the lows you can hear some static and then when I switch the fogs it gets worse. I figured it was unavoidable.

Scottina06 03-08-2011 12:36 PM

if you have the xenondepot kit....it is not that. They have built in filters and such.

ech0sh4y 03-08-2011 01:04 PM

So... any other ideas? lol i'm confused I never had this problem with HID kits and radios.

JonJon 03-08-2011 01:19 PM

I actually posted my install of this a few months ago and had the same complaint. When I turn the headlights on, a radio station that is clear becomes static. I know they have the filters in them but could it be the ground? I have my grounds in the same stock location.

Scottina06 03-08-2011 01:24 PM

could be the grounds. Did you guys add the grounds under the other grounds? In between? on top of the others?

ech0sh4y 03-08-2011 03:08 PM

I had them on top of other grounds. Then i made new locations. I don't think it's the ground. Maybe it's the direct connect to the battery some how?

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-08-2011 03:14 PM

you should use the factory grounds