Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   just changed pcv valve (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/just-changed-pcv-valve-19947.html)

08limited 03-08-2011 03:50 PM

just changed pcv valve

:thumbsup:i just my pcv valve on my o8 hemi it was real easy,lets hope it makes a difference,it was 36$ for it ,little much,it was covered in oil is this normal?im gonna change the plugs when i see a how to video the hole goes in the back right?cause the one i took out was opposite

jeepgcoman 03-08-2011 07:47 PM

Re: just changed pcv valve

I couldn't find any real reference to which way the hole faces when installed, but it makes sense that if it's facing backwards it less likely to pass so much oil. When facing the front it's directly lined up with the hose to the intake manifold. I always install them like you did....facing rear. Have you checked the back of the throttle body butterfly and the plenum in the intake itself? IMO, gotta clean that up too and get a catch can to complete the job.

Marlin 03-08-2011 08:39 PM

I just removed and cleaned mine with petrol on Saturday, disconncted the battery for an hour, cycled the key and throttle a few times, and she feels GREAT!

jeepgcoman 03-09-2011 12:52 AM

I think one of the problems with these PCV Valves is that they're made like everything else....cheap. They are plastic and not very close tolerance, and even new ones bypass some oil into the intake. With new valves on both my Hemi vehicles I still get a fair amout of oil (especially at higher speeds) in the catch cans....just not as much as with an older valve.

Marlin 03-09-2011 01:55 AM

They are certainly garbage, unlike the nice brass ones on my Nissans!

08limited 03-09-2011 08:45 AM

im gonna clean the throttle plate this weekend when i change the oil,can anybody give me any info on a catch can and how to install

jeepgcoman 03-09-2011 03:06 PM

08, you may want to do a search on "catch can" on the forums and you'll find plenty of info. on the can itself, as well as several different methods for installation. The Billet Technology ones that a lot of folks use are for the Hemi LX, but are easily adaptable to the WK. We're here though if you have other questions.

lll2for3lll 03-09-2011 03:18 PM

So what did replacing the PCV valve do? Can we get an update? Did it improve anything for you?

B.P.O.D 03-09-2011 03:43 PM

i have to change this and my plugs next month too!

08limited 03-10-2011 12:22 PM

by changing the valve i got a half mpg more which isnt much but its something and the mds comes on a sooner ill let you know how the throttle plate looks after i clean it saturday

jeepgcoman 03-10-2011 04:02 PM

About the only thing a new PCV Valve will do is reduce the amount of contamination in the intake manifold, and combustion process. This should reduce the tendancy to detonate (PCM will reduce timing), thereby accounting for slightly better economy. A catch can will reduce the amount to virtually nothing, pretty much eliminating the timing reduction caused by oil contamination.