Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   climate control swap question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/climate-control-swap-question-19986.html)

Divo Kinevil 03-09-2011 02:50 AM

climate control swap question

alright i'll start by saying i really havent put much thought into this. its a spur of the moment idea that might have been talked about, but in my 5 minutes of searching i found nothing. not even sure if it's possible but here it goes...

would it be possible to swap in the climate controls from a limited into a Laredo? i like the idea of dual climate control and I'm wondering if its as simple as plug-and-play or if its even a feasible idea to try and fabricate this. since it is 3 am i need to go to bed and i'll do a little more research tomorrow (later today :/) just curious if anyone has any insight on this.

Milous 03-09-2011 04:32 AM

Re: climate control swap question

Put it this way - it would be easier, and cheaper, to trade-in your Laredo for a Limited. The entire systems are very different.

TJXJWJ 03-09-2011 07:58 AM

Plus, dual controls are not all they are cracked up to be. I still don't understand why they bothered putting such a thing in a vehicle. Passenger side fighting with driver's side all the time...

JeepMe 03-09-2011 09:03 AM

I also don't know a ton about the dual climate system but I would imagine it's not super easy. I believe the dual zone has two blend doors while the manual has one blend door.

You would have to take out the dash and replace a lot more than just the control panel.

Frango100 03-09-2011 11:23 AM

As all previous comments. You probably have to change the complete HVAC housing and control panel and some wiring, since all exept the blend door on the manual system are vacuum controlled, versus all electrically on the AZC.
Just buy a limited if you really want it, but be prepared at having problems with the system, as the blend door systems originally are quite weak.

vicpick58 03-09-2011 12:04 PM

Consider yourself fortunate to have a Laredo with out the troublesome duel zone HVAC system.

When I had my 2000 Laredo, I never had any trouble with the AC or heat in the entire 280k miles.

This 2004 Overland that I now own, has had to have the blend doors replaced (common problem) witch requires removing the entire dash. As well as the control module replaced, and it still does not always work properly.

It will sometimes not send heat to the drivers side until I turn the control knob all the way from low to high and back to the set temp. Then it will work for a while, but then I start getting cold again and have to repeat the process.

However the AC works fairly well and that is what is most important anyway in this part of the country

pmpn8ez 03-09-2011 01:34 PM

can be done......for about $2,000 dollars Ive heard :)

Divo Kinevil 03-09-2011 07:11 PM

interesting.. well it was worth a shot. i didnt think it would be a simple task and thinking more on it today at work i figured that was going to be the problem. it was just a thought.

while im thinking about it.. has anyone else had a problem with being "shocked" when they get out of the jeep. every time i go to close my door i get zapped as if i was sliding my feet around a carpet and touched metal. i did start to notice this after i upgraded to all LEDs in the interior. any thoughts?

dumermuthjared 03-09-2011 07:44 PM

dual climate control is a pain in the ass. in mine, the passenger side seems to always be fogged up while the driver side isn't during the winter. somtimes not even worth having

TJXJWJ 03-09-2011 08:50 PM

Highly doubt the shocking has anything to do with your LED job. I get zapped getting out of my wife's WK all the time, but not my WJ. I think it's because she's got fabric seats and I've got leather. Never happens in warmer weather either, only a characteristic of winter.

Reason #789,546,342 I hate winter.

Frango100 03-09-2011 09:17 PM

Yeh, the shock is due to static electricity which is build up in your body due to friction of certain types of clothes or carpet. It normally happens in winter times, when the humidity is low and the electricity will build up more easily. Just touch any part of your car (not a window or tire) with your key or any other thing to dissipate the electricity. Best is to touch the door lock cylinder with the key to avoid scratching.