Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   E3 Spark Plugs....Anyone use them? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/e3-spark-plugs-anyone-use-them-20046.html)

402 Motoring 03-10-2011 08:55 AM

E3 Spark Plugs....Anyone use them?

If so what is your opinion of them....is it all hype or did you experience smoother throttle response & power?

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-10-2011 03:29 PM

Re: E3 Spark Plugs....Anyone use them?

stick with stock plugs if you have a v8

robpp 03-10-2011 04:08 PM

believe it or not 402, cel have gone on due to anything other than stock plugs in both the hemi and the 4.7.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/kmenu.htm

Milous 03-10-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 402 Motoring (Post 372958)
If so what is your opinion of them....is it all hype or did you experience smoother throttle response & power?

All hype, NO PLUG can increase HP or mileage, period. Do a Google search, LOTS of people having problems, AVOID!!!

pattyboy 03-10-2011 04:28 PM

X2... what milous said ...the only gain ever seen were when conventional plug r indexed in the cylinder head to point down towards the piston...so its a moot issues in a hemi and u all know why...... proven numerous times on an engine dyno

Walt 03-10-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 402 Motoring (Post 372958)

:metoo:Seems like latest generation of Daimler-Chrysler engines don't have a great tolerance for plug designs other than the OEM style.

I know the '05-'08 WK HEMI's react poorly to other-than copper core plugs. With everything inside the engine control envelope so closely tuned, you're probably asking for trouble (i.e., bad performance symptoms) by experimenting with other types. Some of the engines come with platinum 100,000 mile spark plugs, others do not. Both of my 4.0L WJ's had these and I think the '08 6.1L HEMI had them from the factory. Not sure about the new HEMI's with VVT.

'05-'08 HEMI's get new plugs every 30K miles anyway. With 16 plugs, at $2 per plug, it's not a great expense. More of a service PITA. I do 15-20K miles per year, so it's every 1.5 years or so.

Consider this: If the OEM's could improve engine performance and mpg's that much for that cheap, why have all of the other expensive fixes to meet the Federal cafe standards and emission limits? Seems illogical to me.

My 2 cents worth.

bluemarble 03-08-2013 03:37 PM

I had good response with Bosch iridium plugs in my ford explorer 4.6L, but can not find out anything on the jeep grand cherokee 3.6L 2012.

hummer recovery team 03-08-2013 05:21 PM

Stick with stock.

DannyVtCa 03-12-2013 09:31 AM

I used the walmart plugs... Forget what they are called... Platinum or something... Definitely not copper.... For 30k miles and didn't have a problem. Have since put coppers back in and haven't noticed any difference

wmassWK 03-14-2013 12:50 PM

I tried them for a year before I heard Jeep V8s prefer copper. Can't say I noticed any benefit or shortcomings. They worked as normal plugs. The only issue was when I replaced them 2 weeks ago with OEM Champions. The spring from the coil had welded itself to the plug and came out on the plug. I tried re-inserting the springs but I couldn't on 3 of the 8 (1 was lost, others kept falling out). Now I'm getting dtc of multiple cylinder misfire.

hummer recovery team 03-14-2013 01:01 PM

Better replace those coils use dielectric grease on the inside of the coil packs too

suzieque 03-14-2013 01:37 PM

I put E3 on my car (3.2L) about 2 years ago after watching an episode of Power Block. Can't say I've noticed a decrease or increase in performance.

I echo the other guys that have said the hemi doesn't react well to anything but what Chrysler recommends.