Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Different Remote Start Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/different-remote-start-question-20068.html)

Redcivic47 03-10-2011 03:30 PM

Different Remote Start Question

On previous vehicles, I have Viper alarms installed with remote start. While the engine is running you can activate the remote start so that you can keep the engine running, remove the key, exit the vehicle and lock it. Is this possible with the WK2's remote start? Yes, I know you can leave the vehicle with the key and lock it but you can still break into it and drive away. With the Viper alarm, once you step on the brake to take the transmission out of park, with out the key, the engine would cut off. That's what I'm looking for.

2011RitterGC 03-10-2011 04:07 PM

Re: Different Remote Start Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcivic47 (Post 373272)
On previous vehicles, I have Viper alarms installed with remote start. While the engine is running you can activate the remote start so that you can keep the engine running, remove the key, exit the vehicle and lock it. Is this possible with the WK2's remote start? Yes, I know you can leave the vehicle with the key and lock it but you can still break into it and drive away. With the Viper alarm, once you step on the brake to take the transmission out of park, with out the key, the engine would cut off. That's what I'm looking for.

Not sure what you are trying to do. But the GC will lock before it starts and you cant put it in gear untill you;
a) Unlock the car and get in.
b) Have the key with you.
c) Step on the brake and hit the start/stop button.

Redcivic47 03-10-2011 04:13 PM

I want to be driving, get to my destination, leave the vehicle running, and arm it so that if someone tries to get in the vehicle without the key it will turn off before they can drive away. Right now it will just say key not in vehicle as the potential thief drives away.

SixZeroFour 03-10-2011 04:51 PM

If the key is not in the vehicle they can't drive away. When you remote start the Jeep is in a locked out mode where you can not put the vehicle in gear or drive at all. To get it out of the locked mode you need to have a key in the vehicle and then press the brake and then the start button like Ritter mentioned above.

Redcivic47 03-10-2011 05:03 PM

OK but what if the engine is running already and you want to engage remote start so you can leave the vehicle safely? I'm trying to not start/stop the vehicle 40 times a day.

Redcivic47 03-10-2011 05:08 PM

This is what the Viper remote start does:

Pit Stop Mode
To exit vehicle with engine running
The system keeps the engine running during short trips into the house
or convenience store. To perform Pit Stop:
1. With the engine running, set the parking brake and release the
foot brake.
2. Press the button, the parking lights will turn on and the Remote start LED and On tones play on the remote control.
3. Tur n the key to off, and remove it from the ignition, the engine
continues running for the programmed runtime.
4. Exit the vehicle and arm the alarm.

Key Takeover - When you are ready to drive

The system keeps the engine running until the vehicle is ready to be
driven. To perform Key Takeover:
1. Disarm the system and enter the vehicle, do not step on the foot
brake.
2. Insert the key, turn it to the run position, and then step on the foot
brake, the remote start then turns off.
3. The parking lights turn off to indicate remote start is off, and then
after a few seconds the remote plays the Remote Start Off message.
4. The vehicle is ready to drive

fourwheelin7 03-10-2011 06:54 PM

No it will not do that, you'll have to turn vehicle off & exit the vehicle and click the remote start to keep it running. The vehicle can still be driven without a key fob ( Don't know for how long of a period ) if you leave it running and just lock the vehicle when you exit with the key fob still in your pocket. But if the vehicle has been started via remote start it CANNOT be driven without the key fob present.

Dan JGC 03-10-2011 08:45 PM

^^^ What are you, a pizza delivery driver in your spare time or do you plan on robbing a bunch of banks??? :lol:

dubwarren 03-10-2011 09:14 PM

Pizza, that's funny....

Redcivic47 03-14-2011 09:59 PM

It's not delivery its Digornio.

boldd 03-14-2011 11:05 PM

Maybe he is Jack Bauer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvtiIrw0to

77rednecktruck 03-15-2011 10:45 AM

I use this feature all the time with my Ford Fusion. It is nice when it is cold out or my kids want to stay in the car while I run into the store real quick. I hold the remote start button while the car is running and it beeps, i can then take the key out of the ignition and go into the store or wherever, get back in and put the key in and go.