Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Vibration When Turning (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/vibration-when-turning-20162.html)

Jeep431 03-12-2011 07:11 PM

Vibration When Turning

I recently bought my son a 1999 Grand Cherokee. I have shot all the typical problems with dash speakers, door lock motor, heater blend doors, and an O2 sensor. I really like the car over all as does my son. But I cannot figure out the last problem that needs resolved. When making a sharp turn, like a U turn or in a culdasac, it has a very bad vibration. I assume it's in the front end because it only occurs when turning sharp. I inspected the UV boots and they look good. I am thinking about changing the transfer case fluid. The car has 79K miles on it. Anyone out there experience anything similar and/or have some advice???

BLACK DOG 03-12-2011 07:52 PM

Re: Vibration When Turning

milage is low for CV joint failure...sounds like maybe front diff may be locking, maybe someone forgot to put gear oil additive in diff. When turning slowly at full lock steering, (U turn) will the front end sort of wobble?

SoCalMoparWK 03-12-2011 08:09 PM

4 things it could be. Brakes, Alignment, Tires, or Tire Balance.

Frango100 03-12-2011 08:20 PM

Yeh, what Bob said, could be the limited slip additive (or at least lack of it)in the front diff. Is the car Quadra-Drive? If yes, there is a Vari-Loc in the diff, which will lock the diff in case of difference in left and right wheel speed (wheel slip).
The additive should allow for some slip, which should be enough when making turns. Lack of this additive will in fact lock the diff completely and will not allow difference in wheel speeds left/right. One of the wheels will (or has to) slip, and that can cause vibration.
Ofcourse the vibration could be caused by front axle CV joints as well.
If you didnīt do it yet, it would be a good time to start with changing the diff fluids (T-case you already mentioned) and depending of the maintenance history you have (or not), also the tranny fluid with filters, engine cooling liquid and brake fluid.

briggy 03-13-2011 05:40 AM

dude,transfer case fluid,change it. genuine oil recommended. should fix it.

Jeep431 03-13-2011 01:55 PM

I thinks you guys nailed it. I am an old corvette guy, not much 4 wheel experience. There is a wobble when you turn tight. When I had my son drive in a tight circle with me standing in the middle, the back inside wheel would spin a little periodically. Is it safe to assume the same additive goes in the rear differential? Is the additive something I can get at the local Napa Auto Parts or is it a dealer item?? Thanks for the help.

Frango100 03-13-2011 07:38 PM

When you have the Vari-Loc in the fron t diff, then for sure your car has Quadra-Drive and then also the same Vari-Loc in the rear diff. Not sure where the best you can buy the Limited Slip Additive, but one of other guys will chime in for sure.

BLACK DOG 03-13-2011 08:59 PM

I think the dealer, if it cost a buck more, so what you've got the right stuff,and the right size 1 bottle =1 diff