Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Transmission question. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/transmission-question-20163.html)

vicpick58 03-12-2011 07:13 PM

Transmission question.

OK so a friend of mine from out of state comes for a visit and he is driving rented WK2, So I take the opportunity to take it for a little test drive with out having to deal with a car salesman.

Of course this is a rental car so it is a 6 cylinder basic version WK2, but I noticed that the gear shift has no 3,2 or 1 positions, only P, R, N and D.

So how do you descend a grade with this vehicle? Must you ride the brakes and burn them up? Or is there some other way to gear it down?

I am interested in the WK2 as a possible replacement for my aging WJ and would not want a 6 cylinder one anyway, but I just thought it was strange not to be able to downshift the transmission. Oh yeah there was no control for a transfer case either, so I assumed that it must have been a 2 wheel drive version.

pwguy 03-12-2011 07:17 PM

Re: Transmission question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicpick58 (Post 374417)
...So how do you descend a grade with this vehicle? Must you ride the brakes and burn them up? Or is there some other way to gear it down?...

You bump the shifter left to limit the top gear, which then displays on the dash. To restore normal operation hold the shifter right for about a second.

It works very simply and elegantly.

vicpick58 03-12-2011 07:32 PM

OK, Thanks for the answer, I think that would take a little getting used to, but I guess it would be fine.

Surely the 545RFE transmission it not like that, I have one of those now and it has a 2 and 1 position as well as an overdrive off button.

pwguy 03-12-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicpick58 (Post 374426)
OK, Thanks for the answer, I think that would take a little getting used to, but I guess it would be fine.

Surely the 545RFE transmission it not like that, I have one of those now and it has a 2 and 1 position as well as an overdrive off button.

What I like about the method on the WK2 is it is much simpler than that. No two positions and a button to keep track of. If you want to shift down a gear just bump the lever left. Shift down another gear bump left again. The only downside for me is that you can't easily start in second. Snow mode reputedly does that though.

Technosavant 03-12-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicpick58 (Post 374426)

Nope, they're both like that. It isn't a feature of the transmission itself, it's a means of controlling it. With the Autostick, you have more control than over the traditional PRND21 type of thing. Instead of moving the entire lever and chancing throwing it into neutral or reverse by overshooting D, you are just moving it right and left, and you can select any gear.

Doing that with the old style "everything in a row" selector would end up with a foot long throw from P all the way down to 1. It's one thing when you have only 3 or 4 speeds. It's quite another when you get more than that.

vicpick58 03-13-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 374471)
Nope, they're both like that. It isn't a feature of the transmission itself, it's a means of controlling it. With the Autostick, you have more control than over the traditional PRND21 type of thing. Instead of moving the entire lever and chancing throwing it into neutral or reverse by overshooting D, you are just moving it right and left, and you can select any gear.

Doing that with the old style "everything in a row" selector would end up with a foot long throw from P all the way down to 1. It's one thing when you have only 3 or 4 speeds. It's quite another when you get more than that.

Thanks, I got a chance to look at the Jeep again and if I had looked closer the first time I would have seen that there is a + and - next to the D on the shift slot.

I have no problem with having this system as long as nothing can possibly go wrong with the electric shift part of it.

pwguy 03-13-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicpick58 (Post 374796)
...I have no problem with having this system as long as nothing can possibly go wrong with the electric shift part of it.

Something can absolutely go wrong with it. It involves electricity and mechanical parts.

Bmwister 03-13-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 374471)

LOLs yes, and can you imagine doing it that way on an 8spd?:eek:

Technosavant 03-14-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 374883)
LOLs yes, and can you imagine doing it that way on an 8spd?:eek:

"Hey, I'm going to pass this lever to you guys in the back, can you select first gear for me?" :D

As for something going wrong, I'm not aware of any issues they've had with this kind of thing. While it isn't as theoretically trouble free as a direct mechanical linkage, most automatics haven't had that in years. IMO, it doesn't bear worrying about- although it could have a problem, it would pretty much be a one off issue that could happen to anybody, not a systematic failure that is inherent to the design.

vicpick58 03-14-2011 08:15 PM

Yeah, this is not really something that would keep me from buying the vehicle. If it is what they call "autostick" then it has been around for a while and it is probably fine.