Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Trailer Wiring Installation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/trailer-wiring-installation-20208.html)

TKirkUMD 03-13-2011 11:37 PM

Trailer Wiring Installation

Has anyone used a universal kit where you do the splicing into the tails yourself? Is it even possible to do that, or is it considered unsafe? I already have a universal kit (simple 4 wire connector) and I just really want to know if I have to buy a kit that is specific to my Grand Cherokee. Thanks!

Chaoul1 03-14-2011 06:39 AM

Re: Trailer Wiring Installation

I thought the wiring were already tucked underneathe behind the bumper? Look underneathe your rear bumper and see if you a wiring PIN/PLUG.

Impreza515 03-14-2011 03:17 PM

I just installed the Mopar wiring kit yesterday. That had me splice in to the wires in the engine bay, and run the plug back to the hitch.

lll2for3lll 03-14-2011 03:21 PM

So there is no OEM trailer harness tucked underneath?

Impreza515 03-14-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 375354)
So there is no OEM trailer harness tucked underneath?

Mine didn't have it. Would have been nice. Plus this has a wire for a trailer brake bias controller, to add in the future. Also, requires a 'star scan' plug in to flash the ECU and tell it to turn on the trailer lights etc. I need to run by the dealer to have that done still.

robpp 03-14-2011 04:56 PM

OP if you dont have the wiring underneath, get the harness that plugs between the tail light and the plugs. this way you dont have to pay the dealer to activatte.............

TKirkUMD 05-11-2011 07:17 PM

Bumping this up because I didn't really get an answer that I was looking for. I do not have the plug/pin connector under the rear of the Jeep. What I am basically asking is if I have the tail light wiring diagram and I know what wires are what, can I just splice wires in to where they need to go? Would I need diodes/resistors or anything else? I'd really like to give this a try myself if I can, but if it's going to require some crazy stuff I guess I'll get someone else to do it.

lll2for3lll 05-11-2011 07:31 PM

The wires are there. It's simple. You can splice and have a fully functional tow harness.

It's just a matter of figuring out wire is what. You will need someone to help you while you stand in the back with a multimeter. Stick a terminal in the ground and test the other wires. Have your help apply the brakes.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...k/0ff0004a.jpg

TKirkUMD 05-11-2011 07:40 PM

So all I need is a simple 4-flat wiring kit and I'm good? I don't need any power converters to protect from shorts or anything like that?

lll2for3lll 05-11-2011 07:43 PM

In theory....it should work. It's simple wiring. 12 volts for parking tail lights and 12 volts for brake lights. I'd try it if I needed a hitch.

I'd look into all options first.

readingbabelfish 05-12-2011 11:46 PM

I bought a plug n play harness from etrailer for like 24 bucks. I just took off the taillights, unplugged the adapters, plugged in the harness and put it all together. Works great, no splicing required. They even had a video on how to do everything.

Hammerhead 05-13-2011 09:58 AM

If you just need the 4-pin harness for a trailer without brakes, just use one of the universal kits. I did that with a 98 Cherokee and 02 Durango with no problems. My current ride has the factory towing option.