Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Jet 180 Installed - No pics :( (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/jet-180-installed-no-pics-20219.html)

jlewissystem 03-14-2011 09:30 AM

Jet 180 Installed - No pics :(

Hey All,
I just installed my Jet 180 in my 5.7 WK over the weekend. I didnt know what types of affects it would have, but I'm liking it so far! I can see an absolute difference between stock thermo and this one, on the coolant temp! It's now in between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Also, i noticed that my idle is just a little smoother these days. It's only been 2 days, but so far i like it - just wanted to throw out an early positive note :)

Frankie 03-14-2011 07:50 PM

Re: Jet 180 Installed - No pics :(

Nice man! Did you do the ziploc bag trick?

jlewissystem 03-14-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 375538)
Nice man! Did you do the ziploc bag trick?

I did actually and it worked like a champ. I spilled some, but the bag caught the majority. Good write-ups on here, thanks!

yetjeep 03-16-2011 02:35 PM

i am planing on installing mine this week what is the bag trick and any way to drain it quicker i ordered one and did it all and found out once it was all out they sent me the one for a5.7 not 4.7 it sucked what is easiest way to install them thanx

jlewissystem 03-16-2011 08:26 PM

It was VERY easy a minimally messy :) I followed this link - great post by this guy - http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...et+180+install. It was unbolt 2 bolts, pull out and put new in ( i think there's a joke in there somewhere:eek:). Very simple - good luck and enjoy!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yetjeep (Post 377009)
i am planing on installing mine this week what is the bag trick and any way to drain it quicker i ordered one and did it all and found out once it was all out they sent me the one for a5.7 not 4.7 it sucked what is easiest way to install them thanx

yetjeep 03-18-2011 12:52 AM

i dont think that will work for the 4.7 cuz its at the bottom lower so you have to drain more or it getts all over you haha because you have to go under to get to it unlike the 5.7 where its right at the top

Martyp 04-04-2011 04:25 PM

Just looked into this now you've brought it up as I need to get my coolant flushed soon.

After finding it on Summit Racing for $35 I was ready to buy but wanted to check how accessible it was on the 4.7, turns out its down the bottom as yetjeep said but looks easy to DIY.

Although after reading this on WJjeeps I'm not sure whether to go for it now?

Quote:

Both the 4.0L and 4.7L engines use 195 thermostats for all model years from 1999-2004. When replacing a thermostat it is very important to install one with the same temperature rating (the only exception might be with certain performance modifications or chips that recommend or require a different temperature thermostat). No benefits or performance gains can be realized by installing a "cooler" thermostat into a stock engine. Doing so is not recommended, it will give you colder heat in the winter and may interfere with engine performance.
A thermostat rated lower than the factory thermostat will richen your fuel mixture a bit at the expense of gas mileage, increased exhaust emissions and dirtying your oil faster - not to mention shortening the life of your cylinder walls and catalytic converters and more frequent spark plug changes. The unnoticeable performance gain, if any at all, is simply not worth the potential drawbacks.

I have the superchips PCM installed but if there are no real gains as stated is it worth risking it? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

maxst2 04-04-2011 05:00 PM

I wrote up a 180* Tstat install how-to. Its around here somewhere.

Personally I haven't had any issues with the swap. IMO the engine runs better and "colder" heat is crazy wrong. Heater in mine is sweltering... and we had some 0*F days!

Martyp 04-05-2011 12:23 PM

Yeah, I thought it'd be fine just those kinda things scare me a little!! :D

Can you confirm the P/N of you T-Stat? I'm looking at this one on Summit. Say's Dodge but on the Jet site it does have the same P/N down for the Jeep and they do share the exact some engine right?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

EDIT: Just ordered it from Summit, couldn't be anything else really. Can't wait to try it out! :)

Scottina06 04-05-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyp (Post 389899)
Yeah, I thought it'd be fine just those kinda things scare me a little!! :D

Can you confirm the P/N of you T-Stat? I'm looking at this one on Summit. Say's Dodge but on the Jet site it does have the same P/N down for the Jeep and they do share the exact some engine right?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

EDIT: Just ordered it from Summit, couldn't be anything else really. Can't wait to try it out! :)

That is the correct part number for the 4.7 Marty....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Martyp 04-05-2011 02:13 PM

Thanks for putting my mine at rest Scott!

Should have it next week. I love Summit!