Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Overland skid plate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/overland-skid-plate-20254.html)

zer0kid 03-14-2011 09:00 PM

Overland skid plate

I see a metal plate on the passenger side near the middle of my Overland. Would it constitute as skid plate? If so what is it protecting?

Lingohocken 03-15-2011 10:32 AM

Re: Overland skid plate

Dunno unless your Overland is a Summit, which apparently comes standard with a skid plate just for the transmission. From many past comments here it seems that is by far the most vulnerable part of the WK2 undercarriage.

This raises an interesting question for non-Summit owners: Might it make sense for non-Summit owners to order just the transmission skid plate (using the Summit part number) instead of the whole skid plate configuration? Less cost, less hassle, fewer crannies for debris and roadkill to lodge, and less dead weight to haul around.

Hollywood 03-15-2011 11:06 AM

Interesting. ;)

RageOfFury 03-15-2011 11:53 AM

The transmission skid plate is on every WK2.

The only optional skid plates are for the front axle/engine oil pan, transfer-case and fuel tank.

Jpjr 03-15-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 375926)
The transmission skid plate is on every WK2.

The only optional skid plates are for the front axle/engine oil pan, transfer-case and fuel tank.

This.

The skid plates are a no brainer to me. The fact that Jeep took the time to integrate them into the design (vs fabbing and welding) is a huge convenience. Well worth the few hundred bucks to buy and install them. Even if you don't trail the vehicle you never know when you might run over something.

Technosavant 03-15-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 375882)
Might it make sense for non-Summit owners to order just the transmission skid plate (using the Summit part number) instead of the whole skid plate configuration? Less cost, less hassle, fewer crannies for debris and roadkill to lodge, and less dead weight to haul around.

You don't HAVE to buy all the skid plates. The transmission one has been covered. The other three can be purchased individually; they're not a single package.

Lingohocken 03-15-2011 09:28 PM

Great info, guys -- thanks! News to me, and great news at that!

esports15 03-23-2011 02:30 PM

I just ordered a set of skid plates and tow hooks will be next. I got a really good deal from a dealer in Boulder (Pollard). The dealer I bought my Overland from in Nebraska (Performance Jeep) has been absolutely terrible from day one and was unwilling to work with me on the price.

pmgraham65 11-09-2011 03:29 AM

If the skid plate is on the passenger side near the middle it might be additional protection for the battery that is located under the passenger seat? Just a thought...

Roki303 11-09-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 375926)

I would assume that to drain oil you don't have to take off the skid plate for the oil pan. Currently own 01 Pathfinder and to get to the oil filter you need to take a splash guard out which is PITA.

Also makes me wonder whatever road salt in winter can accumulate under skid plates making the car more prone to rust. How easy is to get the hose there to clean it up?

ColdCase 11-09-2011 12:39 PM

The WK2 skid plate has access holes for draining, the oil filter is accessed forward of the plate.
If you had QL, raise it to ORA2, get under with a hose/power washer. The plates can be removed in 5-10 minutes if you like more access (assuming you put anti-seize on the threads during the install J