Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Replacing fog lamp bulbs (help) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/replacing-fog-lamp-bulbs-help-20264.html)

gtj105 03-15-2011 07:06 AM

Replacing fog lamp bulbs (help)

Hey all,

Proud new owner of a Laredo X and new to the forums. I am looking for suitable replacement bulbs for the factory fog lamps to match headlights. Roughly around 4300K. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also once i get them is there a good place to find instructions on how to install them, or could someone share their knowledge. Sorry if this has already been asked, I havent been able to find if it has.

RageOfFury 03-15-2011 07:42 AM

Re: Replacing fog lamp bulbs (help)

Welcome!

There is the HID option. You can find info in this thread : http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/question-for-the-guys-who-put-hids-in-the-fogs-18990.html

I wonder though if there are non HID bulbs out there that would be brighter, offer different colors??:confused:

WK2OverlandII 03-15-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 375790)
Welcome!

There is the HID option. You can find info in this thread : http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=18990

I wonder though if there are non HID bulbs out there that would be brighter, offer different colors??:confused:

The H16 are brighter than the standard PSX24W...I don't know about the different colors. Just shave all outer tabs off the bulb for the best fit...the outer clips will hold it in place.

RageOfFury 03-15-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 375833)
The H16 are brighter than the standard PSX24W...I don't know about the different colors. Just shave all outer tabs off the bulb for the best fit...the outer clips will hold it in place.

Ok cool. Likely much cheaper and less of a PIA than doing the HID conversion. Got a writeup or walkthrough on how to make a H16 bulb fit? Also, what bulb do you recommend? Thanks!:thumbsup:

moosehead 03-15-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 375833)

WK2O, presume these need to be 25W, or if a higher wattage, need some ballast? Not just plug and play? Thanks.

WK2OverlandII 03-15-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 375892)
WK2O, presume these need to be 25W, or if a higher wattage, need some ballast? Not just plug and play? Thanks.

Putco makes them and I believe they are either 35W or 37.5W they are brighter than the standard bulb I used them with no ballast...maybe that was my problem as the lamp on the passenger side blew out with the standard factory bulb after a month. I then used an H16 and it blew out in about two weeks. I now have HID 5202s 4300K with the slim ballast with no problems....other than I think they are too bright.:D

WK2OverlandII 03-15-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 375840)
Ok cool. Likely much cheaper and less of a PIA than doing the HID conversion. Got a writeup or walkthrough on how to make a H16 bulb fit? Also, what bulb do you recommend? Thanks!:thumbsup:

Well the best I can tell you is that the H16 or the 5202s will not fit into the factory housing without cutting or shaving off the tabs that are on the outer round plastic/nylon part of the bulb. I used a pair of dykes/wire cutters and clipped all three of them off. Then I used a hand file to file them smooth, you have to be careful to to damage the bulb...delicate work. The outer clips are what hold the bulb in place on the housing. It’s best if you partially remove the lower air dam (just the outer ends.. pull all seven pins but only unclip the ends of the air dam from the upper) and reach up between the felt and the wheel housing to remove and install the bulbs it’s all pretty much by feel as its difficult to see up into that area. Also you have to turn the front wheels all the way to the left or right depending which side you are working on. If working on the left (drivers side) then turn to the right. The removable caps in the front part of the wheel well do not line up with the fog lamps like the owner’s manual says….so the air dam removal is best and you will scrape up your forearms quite a bit…unless they are skinny…mine are like pop-eyes…LOL:D

nrtst24 01-19-2013 10:21 AM

When I checked around the H3 is what the autofit tools told me replaced the factory. Anyways I picked up some of the ZXE H3's (Sylvania) to match my great ZXE headlamps that I replaced and love the color light (not too blue but not yellow at all see link) http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/halog...ide-40464.html
I am installing these today and will post back with the results and any odd fitting things.

covet66 11-16-2013 02:12 PM

Replaced a factory lamp with a new factory lamp- install was quite easy. Was able to reach up from under- there is a gap at the bottom of the splash well/ front valance. I was able to reach up inside, remove the harness, replace the lamp and reconnect harness. Was fearing the worst but no issues...

silversvs 03-09-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtj105 (Post 375781)
Hey all, Proud new owner of a Laredo X and new to the forums. I am looking for suitable replacement bulbs for the factory fog lamps to match headlights. Roughly around 4300K. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also once i get them is there a good place to find instructions on how to install them, or could someone share their knowledge. Sorry if this has already been asked, I havent been able to find if it has.

Just replaced the passenger fog lamp with a Phillips PSX24W bought on amazon for $13.00. You can replace the bulb by feel alone, but it is awkward. First, remove the twist clip, by turning 90 degrees, at the bottom of the fender liner to give you some more room. Reach up between the liner and the bumper, and feel for the tabs for the bulb. Press the tabs and pull the bulb out to release. Then, separate the bulb socket plug from the bulb. I had to get both arms up between the liner and bumper to separate the two. The socket has two ridges on one side and a single ridge on the other. You have to feel for the alignment to match the plug in for the bulb. There is only one way for the bulb to be plugged in. This can be frustrating since you're doing this job blind. After connection, push the bulb back in place. You'll hear a little snap by the tabs when in place. The job took about 10-15 minutes. Hope this helps.

GCLimited 03-11-2014 08:21 AM

When I owned my 2014 GC Limited (without HID headlights), I replaced the stock halogen low beams & fog light bulbs with Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras...H11.

The light was a little bit brighter than stock, and a whole lot whiter. Even after about a year the bulbs were still going strong.

I plan to changeout the fog light bulbs in my new Overland as well with the same bulbs because I hate the yellowish light of the stock bulbs.