Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Front Air Dam Removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/front-air-dam-removal-20267.html)

IndyBob 03-15-2011 08:16 AM

Front Air Dam Removal

Well since I have made my condo reservation for my trip out to Moab in June I am going to see how much trouble it is to remove the front lower air dam.

The manual makes it sound easy but from one post I found here it is not all that easy and more difficult to re-install.

So far all I have one is felt around and found the 7 quick disconnect fasteners.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

pwguy 03-15-2011 08:40 AM

Re: Front Air Dam Removal

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 375805)
Well since I have made my condo reservation for my trip out to Moab in June I am going to see how much trouble it is to remove the front lower air dam.

The manual makes it sound easy but from one post I found here it is not all that easy and more difficult to re-install.

So far all I have one is felt around and found the 7 quick disconnect fasteners.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

Do it where there is lots of light, not in a dark garage like I did. This especially applies to reinstallation when you need to guide a lot of small tabs into small slots at an odd angle.

moosehead 03-15-2011 08:51 AM

Ibob, my WK2 front dam removal took essentially four steps for removal:

1) There were 7+ quarter turn quick fasteners, and at least two were in the felt areas near the interior of the wheel wells

2) There were also at least 2-4 plastic plugs/connectors that need to be pried out. A forked pry tool helps a ton with these which can be a PITA. Some WK2s may not have these on the damn per the instruction

3) There may be a few metric bolts that need to be removed, can't recall if these are for front dam or plastic skid plates underbody (my removal was for tow hook installation so this may not be needed)

4) Trickiest part are disconnecting multiple tabs at the top front of the air dam just beneath the bumper. These need force to pull them forward off the vehicle but care not to tear the tabs or dam itself. Best if done in warmer temps or heat tab with heat gun.

Enjoy Moab, send pics please.

JP49 03-15-2011 09:30 AM

Would like to see a video on this one..

IndyBob 03-15-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 375829)
Ibob, my WK2 front dam removal took essentially four steps for removal:

1) There were 7+ quarter turn quick fasteners, and at least two were in the felt areas near the interior of the wheel wells

2) There were also at least 2-4 plastic plugs/connectors that need to be pried out. A forked pry tool helps a ton with these which can be a PITA. Some WK2s may not have these on the damn per the instruction

3) There may be a few metric bolts that need to be removed, can't recall if these are for front dam or plastic skid plates underbody (my removal was for tow hook installation so this may not be needed)

4) Trickiest part are disconnecting multiple tabs at the top front of the air dam just beneath the bumper. These need force to pull them forward off the vehicle but care not to tear the tabs or dam itself. Best if done in warmer temps or heat tab with heat gun.

Enjoy Moab, send pics please.

Thanks Moose (I think)

That sure is a lot more complex that what I thought it was going to be.

moosehead 03-15-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 375870)
Thanks Moose (I think)

That sure is a lot more complex that what I thought it was going to be.

+1, more complex than it needs to be given the heritage of the vehicle and the fact that Jeep markets the "convertible" nature of the front air dam for OR use.

All that said, you may be able to skip steps 2 and 3 above depending upon your rig. As PWGuy mentioned, get some good light and crawl under the vehicle for a closer look and easier removal.

AndyM 03-15-2011 10:56 AM

Just did this last night in conjunction with the tow hook install. It is not as easy as it could/should be. There are two small bolts holding the air dam to the fender liners that need to be removed. Otherwise, everything else comes apart without tools (at least on mine). But actually disengaging the clips is a total PITA. I never got it all the way off since I couldn't get the middle clips released. It is not something that you would want to do repeatedly.

pwguy 03-15-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyM (Post 375896)
Just did this last night in conjunction with the tow hook install. It is not as easy as it could/should be. There are two small bolts holding the air dam to the fender liners that need to be removed. Otherwise, everything else comes apart without tools (at least on mine). But actually disengaging the clips is a total PITA. I never got it all the way off since I couldn't get the middle clips released. It is not something that you would want to do repeatedly.

Interesting. Mine required no tools at all for removal. I just had the quarter turn fasteners and all those annoying snap in tabs.

Dunecrawler 03-15-2011 11:42 AM

Agree that it is a PITA, but I think it is a better design than the 2008-2010 WK. On the older WK like my 2006, it was very easy

4th Cherokee 03-15-2011 12:22 PM

I removed mine on a lift during my tow hook install, what a PIA! The interlocking clips into the bumper require a perfect pulling angle.

netcoolery 03-15-2011 12:32 PM

Still waiting for my Jeep, so I'm just going by what's been said on this forum:

Sounds to me like there's an opportunity for a third-party mod kit that would make it easier to remove/reinstall for those who want to do so more frequently. Is this plausible?

IndyBob 03-16-2011 08:13 AM

Thanks for the information. I will do a couple of practice runs before I go. I will remove it once I get there and re-install before I leave.

Too bad it's such a pain.