Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Typical Tuneup parts at 100k ?

16K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  chance 
#1 ·
Was in the MPH (Think he meant MPG) thread and Tuneup stuff was mentioned....

So has anybody put together a typical tuneup kit if you will ?

My 06 5.7 has 115k on it, got it a month ago. Oil was recently changed, still clean.

Was gonna do a full tuneup in the spring when it warms up.

I'm thinking:

Plugs
Plug Wires ? or just ohm them out ?
Motor oil change
Front/Rear/Center diff oil change synthetics ?
Radiator flush
Brake Fluid flush
EGR ?
PCV ?
Timing Chain correct ? so no timing belt changes...

Recommendation for Service Manual ? Does Jeep sell a Good detailed Service Manual ? or do i just get a haynes/bentley ?

I typically do most of my own work, so not afraid to get dirty ;)

Thanks,

Mike

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If it were me, I'd do the 90K service, complete, plus a couple add-ons. I just did the 60K service on my 06 Hemi. I did everything on the Severe Maintenance Schedule, as well as MAP Sensor (~$25), and all O2 Sensors (~$30-35 each X 4), because they're alot cheaper than catalytic converters. I would for sure do the O2 Sensors, and only use NTK, IMO. I had trouble with the Bosches, and NTK makes the factory ones. Yes, you should do the PCV Valve (install it with the hole facing to the back) and clean behind the throttle body butterfly. If it is badly contaminated (which I promise it will be), clean it (see Walt's instructions) and get a catch can to prevent this in the future. Not knowing the maintenance history, I'd probably also change the EGR Valve (~$50). Be aware that fluids alone will probably cost over $300 if you use all synthetics, which I would highly recommend. Also change the transmission fluid/filters while you're at it.

There are no timing belts to change. It has a pretty sturdy chain arrangement. Also, your 06 does not have spark plug wires, and you should stick with the stock type copper core plugs, not Platinums or Iridiums. Use the factory type (HOAT) antifreeze too, and use distilled water, not tap water when you mix it 50-50. Of course, make sure you use 5W-20 weight synthetic oil (get a Fumoto Drain Valve too, if you do your own changes) in the engine (I use Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter) and a good quality filter. The transmission takes ATF+4 and make sure you get the correct transfer case fluid, depending which transfer case you have in yours. If you have the ELSD differentials, make sure you get friction modifier from the dealer for both. For mine I got the antifreeze, transfer case fluid and friction modifiers from the dealer. Everything else came from Walmart, AutoZone or O'Reilly's. Have fun.

#5 ·
Ok, doing some research on where to get all this stuff ;) Dealer ? Local Auto Parts or Rockauto.

Other good places ?

At Rock Auto they have various vendors for almost all the parts... more decisions....
Artex Wells seems to make a lot of stuff.... and prices vary quite a bit....

Thanks jeepcgoman, a lot of info started with you ;)

From Rock Auto:

==============================
MAP Sensor $20-28
and all O2 Sensors x4 $30-35 NTK sensor with the connector ? gotta ask...
PCV Valve $27-43
EGR Valve $35-65 with or without a flange ? does it matter ?
plugs qty 16 I see the champion re14's but there is a note about using iridium for waste spark ? does it matter or just use the re14's for all 16 ?

oil filter will get local
brake fluid dot 3 will get local, (gonna flush the brake lines)
air filter $3-15, does it matter ?

mobile 1 7qts walmart

Dealer, will probably have them do this stuff...
=================
trans oil atf+4
transfer case fluid
friction modifier
antifreeze

I'm never gonna turbo or supercharge this vehicle, as much i'd like too ;) But I did just put in magnaflow system and plan on CAI and Tuner or some kind.... SRT reps
get picked up tomorrow..

#7 · (Edited)
Just my opinions and what I did, FWIW.

Other good places ? O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Napa, etc.
At Rock Auto they have various vendors for almost all the parts... more decisions....
Artex Wells seems to make a lot of stuff.... and prices vary quite a bit....
Wells is pretty good stuff
Thanks jeepcgoman, a lot of info started with you ;) You're Welcome!

From Rock Auto:

==============================
MAP Sensor $20-28 Good price
and all O2 Sensors x4 $30-35 NTK sensor with the connector ? gotta ask... Good price. IMO, be sure to get NTK. They do have the connectors on them. Just plug them in. Don't use any compounds on the plugs, wires or sensors.
PCV Valve $27-43 The lower price is more normal...no more than ~$35.
EGR Valve $35-65 with or without a flange ? does it matter ? I paid ~$50. Flange??? Mine came with just the valve and both gaskets. That's all you need, except maybe the tube seal where it goes into the intake.
plugs qty 16 I see the champion re14's but there is a note about using iridium for waste spark ? does it matter or just use the re14's for all 16 ? DO NOT use iridiums or platinums. Few can get away with it, but more can't....misfire problems. If the re14's are the stock ones, you're good. I use NGK LZTR4A-11, Stock No. 5306 (coppers) and they work great....all 16 of them. The 06's don't utilize the "wasted spark" system. That was only on the 05 Hemi's.

oil filter will get local
brake fluid dot 3 will get local, (gonna flush the brake lines) Mine was still OK at 60K, but will get a complete do-over at 90K.
air filter $3-15, does it matter? If you're just cruising around town, no. A K&N, TruFlow, or ?? hi-flow aftermarket MAY help slightly on the road or at the races though. Advantage to them is that they can be serviced and you'll never need to buy another one.

mobile 1 7qts walmart Good!

Dealer, will probably have them do this stuff... BAD, IMO! Will cost too much $$$. Have you gotten a FIRM price? Find a good, reliable, trustworthy, independent. Quiz him on his knowledged of WK's and Hemi's in particular, before committing. Better, IMO, to do it yourself if possible.
=================
trans oil atf+4 AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. I couldn't find the good stuff at Walmart.
transfer case fluid Dealer for me. Be sure to get the right stuff for YOUR transfer case. There are two different types.
friction modifier Check to see if this is needed for you diffs. If you have the ELSD diffs, you'll need it....don't know about the others.
antifreeze... I got (2 gallons) it from the dealer. It is available at other places though. Be sure it is the Hybrid Organic Additive (Acid) Technology (HOAT) antifreeze. Mix 50-50 only with distilled water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.