Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Liberty vs GC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/liberty-vs-gc-20328.html)

eortizr 03-16-2011 11:30 AM

Liberty vs GC, why the price is so different?

so, I just want to know, why the base 4x4 GC is more expensive than a fully loaded 4x4 Liberty. Even the base 4x4 system in the Liberty is better than the base 4x4 in the GC.

So what makes the GC more expensive?

Thanks

TJXJWJ 03-16-2011 12:09 PM

Re: Liberty vs GC

$7300 difference buys you a 5 speed vs a 4 speed transmission, bigger wheels and tires, and a new body style, and nicer interior if you're comparing base 4x4 to base 4x4. The Pentastar is the only other thing the new GC has (arguably) over the Libby.

Fully loaded Libby vs base 4x4 GC are the same price from what I'm finding.

Essentially, you're comparing an older body style to a new release...it's not really fair comparison. For the money, if you're cross-shopping a new Libby 4x4 vs. a new GC 4x4, you're better off with the Libby. You're also buying increased resale value.

Knightrider03m 03-16-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 376889)
$7300 difference buys you a 5 speed vs a 4 speed transmission, bigger wheels and tires, and a new body style, and nicer interior if you're comparing base 4x4 to base 4x4. The Pentastar is the only other thing the new GC has (arguably) over the Libby.

Fully loaded Libby vs base 4x4 GC are the same price from what I'm finding.

Essentially, you're comparing an older body style to a new release...it's not really fair comparison. For the money, if you're cross-shopping a new Libby 4x4 vs. a new GC 4x4, you're better off with the Libby. You're also buying increased resale value.

+1

A fully loaded Liberty does cost less than a base WK however, the Liberty has rebates on it thus making it cheaper. I think your going to take the same hit with the resale no matter what Jeep your going to buy.

IMO, the WK has a better ride and much more room than the KK. The WK also cost less to maintain. However, the KK is less likely to break down than the WKs.

TJXJWJ 03-16-2011 08:10 PM

Oh...oops...I was referring to the WK2...not the WK in my post...

eortizr 03-16-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 377198)
Oh...oops...I was referring to the WK2...not the WK in my post...

Yeah, I was asking about the KK and the WK, WK2 is another story.

and what ticks me off is the fact that the KK in it base trim is already trail rated, while the base 4x4 WK is not. I want to know what justifies the 10k difference.

Chaoul1 03-16-2011 08:46 PM

Grand Cherokee or GTFO

No One 03-16-2011 08:48 PM

First gen Liberty or second gen? Although the Back seat area of a WK is not going to win any humanitarian awards...well if you wanted to get a suspected terrorist to talk other than waterboarding then just throw one in the backseat of a Liberty and drive down a rocky, washboard road and then roll down the windows and drive interstate speeds. The combination of physical and sonic torture will surely break anyone. Any of you reading this who has owned a first gen Liberty, don't pretend that you do not know what I am talking about.

GR33N D3M0N 03-16-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No One (Post 377210)
First gen Liberty or second gen? Although the Back seat area of a WK is not going to win any humanitarian awards...well if you wanted to get a suspected terrorist to talk other than waterboarding then just throw one in the backseat of a Liberty and drive down a rocky, washboard road and then roll down the windows and drive interstate speeds. The combination of physical and sonic torture will surely break anyone. Any of you reading this who has owned a first gen Liberty, don't pretend that you do not know what I am talking about.

This is going in my sig!!

DAVY27 03-16-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no one (Post 377210)
first gen liberty or second gen? Although the back seat area of a wk is not going to win any humanitarian awards...well if you wanted to get a suspected terrorist to talk other than waterboarding then just throw one in the backseat of a liberty and drive down a rocky, washboard road and then roll down the windows and drive interstate speeds. The combination of physical and sonic torture will surely break anyone. Any of you reading this who has owned a first gen liberty, don't pretend that you do not know what i am talking about.

lol.

jeff05wk 03-16-2011 10:13 PM

Liberty, lol.

Knightrider03m 03-16-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eortizr (Post 377206)
Yeah, I was asking about the KK and the WK, WK2 is another story.

and what ticks me off is the fact that the KK in it base trim is already trail rated, while the base 4x4 WK is not. I want to know what justifies the 10k difference.

I thought you was talking about the WK2 also.....

Can't really compare a new KK to a discounted WK1. If and I do me IF you are able to find a new WK1, then odds are is that the price of the WK1 would be at or near the base KK.

05wkguy 03-17-2011 12:39 AM

I have never owned a Liberty but a friend of mine did for about 2 years, which i got to ride in on more than a few occaisons, including some longer trips (1-1.5 hours). It was a nice vehicle but there was higher road and wind noise in the Liberty and the GC just felt more solid, especially over rough roads. The transmission is the other big difference. Basically just a higher class of vehicle.