Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Chrome trim pitting? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/chrome-trim-pitting-20337.html)

mhassler 03-16-2011 02:25 PM

Chrome trim pitting?

I noticed that the Chrome on my tailgate (license plate brow) and body-side molding is starting to show small signs of pitting and minor-rust in various places. Anyone else notice this?

I am not sure if it is a result of an cold & snowy early winter (I tried to keep the salt off) followed by a warm & rainy late winter or just poor craftsmanship (bad chrome plating).

RageOfFury 03-16-2011 06:06 PM

Re: Chrome trim pitting?

Try nu-finish. It will remove that bit of rust and will also protect the chrome. That's what I did with the chrome on my 06 Liberty. Nu-finish works like a charm.

Cherodude 03-16-2011 06:40 PM

It doesn't matter what the winter was like or that they used salt. I live in winter salt country. Rusted chrome in the first winter is NOT acceptable. Tell your dealer about this problem. Chrysler may have to lean on a supplier, but they are supposed to have a new standard of quality.

Scottina06 03-16-2011 07:20 PM

would love to see pics of this please

Hogs 03-16-2011 09:14 PM

I noticed it after 2 weeks and 300 miles on the chrome trim around the window between the B and C pillars. At this point it buffed out, and I plan on putting a coat of wax on it this weekend.

Should not be happening this soon though.

Scottina06 03-16-2011 11:09 PM

these parts are plastci that has been chromed...so im not sure how much metal could be in the chrome coating. Are you guys sure its not contamination from your area/surroundings that looks like rust?

BimmerAgent 03-16-2011 11:29 PM

This is NOT unusual. I have the same problem on my Ram, and it's showing up now on my Jeep. They use mag chloride here when it's snowy/icey, and it eats the chromed plastic. It becomes difficult to remove, and is a topic over on the the Ram forum, TDR. I have had some luck using "magic eraser," elbow grease, and patience. It's a real pain if you let it go too long. Bruce

Scottina06 03-17-2011 12:05 AM

I recommend a good sealer....2 coats and then a good carnuaba once you get it sealed. That will take care of the contaminants from now forward

Salmon 03-17-2011 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
for Russia this is usual...after winter.becourse of salt and reagents(maybe).usualy rear in bubles,around windows in little brown points.dealer change it for free(warranty)

sorry for my bad english

Scottina06 03-17-2011 01:49 AM

Nice pic salmon. Definetely clean that off and seal it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Salmon 03-17-2011 02:58 AM

it`s not my car,this photo from the same thread in russian wk2 forum.i only wait for my jeep,and i will paint most of chrome on it.(front,rear,door moldings,handles)

mhassler 03-17-2011 08:17 AM

Thanks to all and nice pic Salmon.

Nu-Finish and other sealers, concealers & cleaners are great options, but this car is under warranty. I agree, this should not be happening so soon. My wife's MBenz R350 has just as much chrome and hers looks great.

I fully understand how chrome plating works and how pitting and rusting occurs. It has to be all surface if these moldings are in-fact plastic.

I was just curious if others have seen this. I plan to visit my dealership again and ask for new moldings. I am also going to see if they will let me keep the old ones, then I could get them painted to match.