Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Sunroof buffeting sound? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/sunroof-buffeting-sound-20338.html)

Rockraines 03-16-2011 02:26 PM

Sunroof buffeting sound?

I have a Overland with the Pan sunroof and today was pretty much the first day I was able to drive with the sunroof open here in Chicago and something really bothered me about the design.

First off, the cloth wind barrier is very poorly designed. It not only doesnt work very well, but it violently shakes in the wind.

Also because it doesnt really alter the wind much, I getr a terrible buffeting sound unless I open another window. This is exactly what the barrier was designed to prevent.

I am betting this is something that will be corrected in the next version, I have never had a cloth/nylon barrier there in any car I have owned.

Robey5 03-16-2011 02:46 PM

Re: Sunroof buffeting sound?

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the pano-SR. Chrysler (some time back) took some design cues from the Ford Edge and implemented the silly cloth wind deflector in their design of SR modules. Nearly immediately after prodction, there was a change to the spring rate to make the deflector stay still while the pano-SR is completely open.

If you have time to pop into the dealership, you may want to voice your concern - which may result in a different wind deflector, and a software flash on the smart-motor that controls the active glass.

On a strong note regarding the design of the pano-SR, the opening is enormous!:thumbsup:

jeep2011 03-16-2011 03:40 PM

+1 it doesn't perform the job it is suppose to. On my mini the deflector is cloth as well, but it actually works as it should. Good thing I rarely open mine or have the windows down.....I am not a fan of cleaning all the excess dust, lol

mjw930 03-16-2011 03:44 PM

If you read the manual they state that you will experience pressure issues with the sunroof open and no other windows open. I have the same issue with the last 6 cars I've owned so this is not unique to the WK2 or the cloth deflector.

smcoverland 03-16-2011 03:48 PM

I have to say my experience is otherwise. Wind noise & buffeting with the pano sunroof was a concern for me, and near the top of my checklist for possible issues.

I have -0- buffeting & the wind that enters the cabin is minimal with the sunroof fully open and all windows closed. Relatively very quiet & the best I've ever experienced. Exceeded my expectations.

JeepeeJ 03-16-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockraines (Post 377003)
I have a Overland with the Pan sunroof and today was pretty much the first day I was able to drive with the sunroof open here in Chicago and something really bothered me about the design.

First off, the cloth wind barrier is very poorly designed. It not only doesnt work very well, but it violently shakes in the wind.

Also because it doesnt really alter the wind much, I getr a terrible buffeting sound unless I open another window. This is exactly what the barrier was designed to prevent.

I am betting this is something that will be corrected in the next version, I have never had a cloth/nylon barrier there in any car I have owned.

I wasn't a fan of the huge sunroof. Cosmetically it looks okay but functionally I didn't like it. First, the cloth doesn't do anything to deaden the exterior noise. And they always introduce noise along with breaking roof integrity. I also wasn't too crazy about the additional light in the cockpit when in a normal sunroof you can shut all the light out. And lets not talk about glass coming from above through the cloth. Taking a roll with that much glass doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy either.

Just my thoughts...

I recently received an e-mail to participate in a Jeep future design survey and this reminded me of what I want to do since they blew me off with the "off road" tires they didn't deliver on.

jeep2011 03-16-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcoverland (Post 377046)
I have to say my experience is otherwise. Wind noise & buffeting with the pano sunroof was a concern for me, and near the top of my checklist for possible issues.

I have -0- buffeting & the wind that enters the cabin is minimal with the sunroof fully open and all windows closed. Relatively very quiet & the best I've ever experienced. Exceeded my expectations.

What speeds are you traveling? It doesn't buffet on mine unless I am going faster than 45MPH.

smcoverland 03-17-2011 12:07 AM

Drove this afternoon, cruising @ 60-70 mph after posting the above (wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things, plus I'm always looking for any excuse to drive this car). All windows closed, sunroof completely open. Absolutely zero buffeting. Also noted that my cloth barrier is very firm, no shaking, violent or otherwise, that the op notes.

The only buffeting that I've experienced in this vehicle is when I have a rear passenger window open to let some air in the back for my dog. Opening a front window a couple of inches solves the issue.

Jeeters 03-17-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepeeJ (Post 377174)
I also wasn't too crazy about the additional light in the cockpit when in a normal sunroof you can shut all the light out.

You can't block the entire pano? That would be a deal breaker for me in getting one.

fireron 03-17-2011 06:16 AM

We are very happy with our pano roof and experience no buffeting until around 50 mph with all of the windows in the cabin closed, much better than we have experienced before. No complaints here.

mjw930 03-17-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 377440)
You can't block the entire pano? That would be a deal breaker for me in getting one.

Of course you can, I don't know what he's talking about.

AAAA 03-17-2011 07:59 AM

Experienced some "helicopter" noise at about 40 mph. Didn't bother me, but found that an alternative to opening side window is to just close the roof a couple of inches forward from full open.