Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   Do Your Seats Look Like This? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/do-your-seats-look-like-this-20393.html)

pixyprincess 03-17-2011 03:05 PM

Do Your Seats Look Like This?

Hi All,

My husband bought his WK2 Overland a month ago (February 18), and it currently has less than 500 miles on it.

At 300 miles, we started noticing that his seat was wrinkled.

http://www.fierypyropixy.com/images/...dle_seat_2.jpg

He took it to the local dealer today, on his way into work, and the Service department basically told him that this was "normal" and there was nothing they would do about it. That was AFTER they'd asked him if he'd bought it from them. Husband got the feeling if it HAD come from them, the service guy would have been a little more willing to fix the problem.

(He didn't buy it from them. This local dealer has "failed" at every point of pre- and post-purchase. Sales, service, all of it . . . they've been a major disappointment. We bought from a much better dealer two hours away, which is obviously not convenient to drop in and ask about the seat.)

So, obviously we're not impressed with this local dealer, and I wanted to ask the great lot of you here before I try to either contact the good dealer two hours away, OR try to pursue this as a warranty item.

The 2008 Overland that we traded for this one also had saddle seats, and yes, it was a different leather, but those seats, at three years and 40k-something miles on them, looked tremendously better than these do now at 500 miles. We're starting to wonder just how badly these are going to wear, if this really IS "normal".

It seems there's too much stretch to the leather.
http://www.fierypyropixy.com/images/...dle_seat_3.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help -- wanted to consult with you first b/c these are our first ventilated/perforated seats.

IS this normal for the WK2 seats?

If not, is it something we can pursue under warranty?

jeep2011 03-17-2011 03:17 PM

Re: Do Your Seats Look Like This?

No mine hasn't done that. It will be considered normal wear however any wrinkles or creases not there at purchase.

With the perforations the leather will not be as durable. The bottom cusion i can understand, but the back of the seat should not have such a hard crease.

pixyprincess 03-17-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 377783)
No mine hasn't done that. It will be considered normal wear however any wrinkles or creases not there at purchase.

With the perforations the leather will not be as durable. The bottom cusion i can understand, but the back of the seat should not have such a hard crease.

I'm sorry, I should have specified -- those are all the bottom cushion, the camera was tilted differently.

Normal, hmm . . . I guess I should hope that the wrinkles stop there.

Pretty disappointing though.

AAAA 03-17-2011 03:28 PM

I would tend to think that it is normal. You want some give or the leather will crack and break. My Ltd. does not have perf. seats, but all seats have some small folds of leather in the seat bottom. Sort looks like pleating when stitched. Smooths out I'm sure when my fat butt sits on it.

moosehead 03-17-2011 03:50 PM

my seats do not look like that. they remain firm and uncreased despite the presence of my rather large and powerful buttocks.

Navy1 03-17-2011 05:32 PM

Wow...I think I would be a little upset too but I think they are going to say its normal. My seats do not look like that though, they are still firm and uncreased. Hope it works out for you.

pixyprincess 03-17-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 377804)
my seats do not look like that. they remain firm and uncreased despite the presence of my rather large and powerful buttocks.

LOL! :lol:

----
Yes, Navy, it is upsetting . . . my side doesn't look like this either, but then again I'm not riding in it as much as he does. (Although . . . it's less than 500 miles old and he has a daily 2-mile commute . . . not like we're hard on these seats.)

This is our first brand new car . . . we bought a 2008 Overland in January. Traded in his 2006 Chrysler 300C for it, because he's been wanting something with 4WD for a while. He was surprised at how much he really liked the Jeep overall . . . and then found out that he could get a heated steering wheel and other niceties that he'd thought about installing on the 2008, on the 2011 . . . so we traded the 2008 a month after we bought it. Felt like a really big luxury for us.

So yeah . . . this new leather is a disappointment. Thanks for weighing in, all.

Dan JGC 03-17-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 377804)

So there is a mooseass that goes with that moosehead??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

moosehead 03-17-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 377880)
So there is a mooseass that goes with that moosehead??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It takes a big hammer to drive a big nail.

DGoral31 03-17-2011 06:46 PM

there is no way that should be normal wear on any leather... sure the leather can show some sign of wear but that looks like the leather is pulling away from the cushion on that first picture... I would contact that dealer 2 hrs away from you by phone first... speak to a manager and tell them you bought the jeep from there and LOVED their service but that you noticed the leather on your seats were showing an unusual sign of wear and ask to send him a picture of the seats to his email ... send him those pictures, be pushy about it but make sure to be nice about it as well... you get way more bee's with honey than with vinegar. After he confirms the seats are in fact defective then take your husband and his meaty hands to the dealership and have them replace them!

LiquidOxygen 03-17-2011 06:51 PM

I agree with the post above. That is definitely not normal.

dobiegillis 03-17-2011 07:36 PM

I also agree with the last post.

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4G using Tapatalk