Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   Thule Cargo Box - Mopar Cross Bars - Pics (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/thule-cargo-box-mopar-cross-bars-pics-20411.html)

drummer 03-17-2011 09:05 PM

Thule Cargo Box - Mopar Cross Bars - Pics

3 Attachment(s)
Thule Atlantis 1600
Mopar Cross Bars

Only modification necessary was to install the sharkfin.

chibianh 03-17-2011 10:50 PM

Re: Thule Cargo Box - Mopar Cross Bars - Pics

thanks for the pics! I don't have the shark fin antenna and was looking at a box.. looks like I may have to get the shark fin after all if i want a box.. lol

ehorst 03-18-2011 07:14 AM

Thanks for he pix, Drummer. I have a similar box but I haven't installed the mopar bars yet. I'm wondering...wouldn't it be possible to just bend the oem antenna a little to fit the box?

drummer 03-18-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehorst (Post 378144)
Thanks for he pix, Drummer. I have a similar box but I haven't installed the mopar bars yet. I'm wondering...wouldn't it be possible to just bend the oem antenna a little to fit the box?

Might be. I also considered the Mopar box, which is 71" long, and it appeared that it might JUST reach the oem antenna without bending it - - or perhaps bend it a little. But I wanted as much box length as I could have (skis!), so after determining that the Atlantis (74" long) was as large as I could go without interfering with an open tailgate, I installed the sharkfin.

Thule was very helpful in providing information; particularly helpful was the distance from the rearmost position of attachment to the actual back of the box.

The sharkfin went on easy - - and I installed it in freezing weather using a hair dryer to warm up the surface. I detect no audible difference in reception, and it looks great!

Cperez 03-18-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehorst (Post 378144)

I thought the same thing when I saw the photos...it looked like the angles involved would allow for that. The issue might be that this contact between the antenna and the box could create some signal attenuation (similar to the famous iPhone 4 issue).

Full disclosure: I have the Mopar bars and the sharkfin, but no rooftop box. Just speculating on this issue.

rschonfe 03-19-2011 09:41 PM

The front cross bar looks pretty far back, how stable is the box? Is there room to slide it back and still open the back gate?

drummer 03-21-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschonfe (Post 379109)
The front cross bar looks pretty far back, how stable is the box? Is there room to slide it back and still open the back gate?

The front cross bar is actually as far forward as it will go. And the rear crossbar as far back as IT will go - - I don't remember the measurement off-hand, but the maximum space between the cross bars is not generous!

The box is actually as far forward on the car as it will go - - I wouldn't slide it back more than an inch or two (as I think's evident from the picture). But it's solid and stable as is.

GTOGreg 03-22-2011 12:19 AM

Good to see it fits. D Do you think the 1800 would fit? I'm looking at the Boxter which is very similar.

drummer 03-22-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOGreg (Post 380336)
Good to see it fits. D Do you think the 1800 would fit? I'm looking at the Boxter which is very similar.

Don't think so. Here's what I got from Thule:

The Thule BOX fit parameters for back hatched vehicles are:

The factory bars should not be wider than 3 1/2 inches or thicker than 1 1/2 inch.
Place the front bar on your roof rack as far forward as possible. Please measure horizontally from the front bar to your fully opened hatch.

1. If you have 55 inches of clear space any Thule box we make will fit (see attached word document for how too measure).
2. If only 47 inches of clear space is available only the Boxter 611 will fit.
3. If only 45 inches of clear space is available only following sizes of boxes will fit:
a. Atlantis 1600
b. Ascent 1500
c. Side Quick
d. Excursion.

To insure clearance of the back hatch the above minimum measurement must be met. These are general guide line and should be verified if the fit is close.

Please consult our web site at www.thule.com or pictures of the products discussed.

comnjeep 03-04-2012 10:44 PM

Stupid question... The Antenna is for FM only, right?

Molson 03-05-2012 02:45 PM

My atlantis 2100 won't fit at all without touching the gate.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...2/d3ad8515.jpg

armoredsaint 03-05-2012 05:41 PM

i still have the OEM antenna on mine - it will definitely hit.