Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Weird noise during acceleration - exhaust? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/weird-noise-during-acceleration-exhaust-20507.html)

broady06811 03-19-2011 10:02 PM

Weird noise during acceleration - exhaust?

hey guys,
so i have noticed recently that my jeep is making what sounds like an exhaust leak to me. it doesn't make the noise when it is iddling though but when m,y windows are down and i accelerate it makes and ticking kinda like and exhaust leak. any helo or advice on ho i can fix this. it bugs the crap outa me. i hate the sound it makes my jeep sound like a pile!!!

jeepnjeep 03-20-2011 08:57 AM

Re: Weird noise during acceleration - exhaust?

A lot of 4.7s have a problem with the exhaust manifold bolts loosening and or breaking on the driver's side causing a "tick" sound. So far I've been lucky. If the bolts are just loose it is a matter of taking out the bolts, cleaning all the old gasket off and installing a new gasket and bolts. If one or more are broken, it's a much more difficult job of removing the broken bolt. The head may need to come off as there isn't much room to work in there. Good luck!

08limited 03-20-2011 01:35 PM

do you have the 4.7 or 5.7?

broady06811 03-20-2011 09:56 PM

Ya should have mentioned I have the 5.7 hemi

broady06811 03-21-2011 04:01 PM

please help mke out guys. i have also noticed it doesnt happen when i rev the engine while in park..... it is very weird but very noticable

lll2for3lll 03-23-2011 03:15 PM

I have this same problem. My WK could possibly need a new exhaust manifold. $170 to replace the one on the right and ~$300 to replace the one on the left. The left side is more difficult to get to.

So is it really possible that the bolts just need to be tighten? If so, I wouldn't have to pay that much right? I'm having the dealer look at it when I go in for an oil change and chassis lube this Saturday.

ltdan 03-23-2011 09:46 PM

I have the same "problem" been wondering what causes it.

jeepnjeep 03-23-2011 11:06 PM

You can't just retighten them, the gasket has to be replaced so the manifolds have to come off.

broady06811 03-24-2011 01:36 PM

thanks for the help guys, the jeep is at the dealer now getting a new starter and clock spring (all under carmax warranty) and am gonna have them check out the exhaust manifolds for leaks and everything else that is covered. either way its only $75 deductable for me. hopefully it gets all fixed up.

lll2for3lll 03-29-2011 10:43 AM

Anybody know what could have caused one of my manifold gaskets to go bad?

lll2for3lll 04-02-2011 03:44 PM

Went in to the dealer for an oil change. The mechanic said he might be able to fix my tick by just replacing/tightening the bolts on the manifold. The tick is only on the back side on the right manifold.

JDM12 04-02-2011 04:15 PM

If the flanges warp or bolts losen, the exhaust leaking out will destroy a non metallic gasket pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk