Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   overhead console sunglass holder broke (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/overhead-console-sunglass-holder-broke-20510.html)

jgc4ever 03-20-2011 12:40 AM

overhead console sunglass holder broke

Just the other day I tapped the overhead sunglass holder to get my sunglasses and it didn't open. The left side seems to have slid up out of it's original position I think. Or the section that it meshes with has gone out of place. I had to pry to get it down. I can move it slowly full open or full closed but it seems to be slightly "in" further when closed all the way.

Does anyone know if that could be easily fixed or would I need a new part? Can just the sunglass holder part be bought or do I have to get the whole overhead section?

I have a 2005 Jeep WK Limited with Medium Slate Gray interior with sunroof.

Any help is much appreciated.

robpp 03-20-2011 12:41 AM

Re: overhead console sunglass holder broke

pull the whole light down by yanking on the front of it. thenyou can se what happened with the glasses holder.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-20-2011 10:16 AM

^x2 you should then be able to put it back on track and easily fix it

jgc4ever 03-20-2011 01:39 PM

I got the overhead section down and there is a narrow piece of plastic that holds the "plastic hinge" on the holder down to allow it to work that is broken off. Works great when it's not broken, but seems like this could break very easily and finally did for me. If superglue doesn't work, probably have to either order a replacement part or live with it. Thanks guys for your help.

robpp 03-20-2011 01:41 PM

you would have to buy that whole part. they can sometimes be found on ebay for not too much money.

jgc4ever 03-20-2011 01:45 PM

OK, thanks.

jackr 12-27-2011 07:33 PM

I had the same problem. A quick fix is to fill the little square hole with a small piece of 1/4 inch rubber weather stripping that is fairly firm(not Foam) a little glue will ensure it stays in place. Better than having to track down and replace console. This jeeps interior is very cheaply made especailly the door panels and handles as well. Just not very durable.

jgc4ever 12-29-2011 08:50 PM

Good info. I fixed it with super glue and also used some epoxy stuff my dad had (that has a glue type of action). I just glued the tiny plastic stick shaped piece that broke (very small surface area). Traded that Jeep in since though. Dealer marked my '05 G.C. Limited for $20,999 and sold it after a couple of months (just a few days ago) - I have no idea how much they sold it for though.