Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Swaping out media center 130 RES for 430 RBZ, just plug and play? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/swaping-out-media-center-130-res-for-430-rbz-just-plug-and-play-20532.html)

ralphmalph 03-20-2011 04:45 PM

Swaping out media center 130 RES for 430 RBZ, just plug and play?

My buddy is selling me his 430 for 200.00, I figure for that kind of money why not upgrade my radio. ( he had a nav installed 2011 JC)

questions are

Is it completely plug and play, Do I have to got to the dealer to swap it out or is pretty much a do it yourself job ?

As far as Uconnect goes will I still have it when I swap the systems? ( If I lose Uconnect Im not going to buy it. I use the hands free stuff way to much.)

Can I swap my free sirius subscription over?

Thanks in advance much appreciated

Rosewood 03-20-2011 07:43 PM

Re: Swaping out media center 130 RES for 430 RBZ, just plug and play?

i can tell you the removal takes 5 minutes. 2 to pull the trim piece, 30 on each of the Xmm screws holing it in. 4 harnesses int he rear take less than a minute to sidconnect. i did mine to see if my shark fin was messing up sirius, turned out to be an internal sirius turner and is beeing replaced

ralphmalph 03-20-2011 07:47 PM

thanks rosewood, do you know if the Uconnect will work when I swap the radios ?

How did you get the trim piece off, pry it off with a flathead??? Just want to make sure I dont damage the car

thanks again

Frostbite 08-19-2012 12:33 AM

X2- How did you get the trim piece off, pry it off with a flathead??? Just want to make sure I dont damage the car?

z0lt3c 08-19-2012 08:14 AM

If you are getting the RBZ from a 2011 it should be completely plug and play and an easy DIY. I just did the same upgrade with factory Uconnect and Sirius, all systems worked after replacing the head unit with no further coding or changes. My phone even stay paired, since it must pair with the uconnect module and not the head unit. You will potentially loose the free sirius, since it follows the radio and not the owner, but if the RBZ has any free sirius left, you can use that until it expires.

To remove the trim panel I started from the bottom, partially opening the storage compartment, and lift the bottom of the trim piece forward from inside the compartment. Then just run your fingers up along each edge to release the clips. The ones near the top took the most force, just go slowly. I didn't have to use a tool, prying with a metal object will most likely damage the trim. If you feel you need a tool, go get a plastic panel removal, but I really think fingers are the best tool here.

Frostbite 08-20-2012 10:47 PM

That's good to know, thank you!