Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Tow hitch saved my WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/tow-hitch-saved-my-wk2-20553.html)

UNCjeepWK2 03-20-2011 10:15 PM

Tow hitch saved my WK2

I was sitting at a stoplight today when I got slammed into by an older Durango. It felt like I got slammed into, anyway... the Durango was probably only going 10 mph or less. It was quite a jolt, though.

I got out and was expecting to see some visible damage to the rear of my car... but I couldn't find any! I have a strong metal hitch cover over it... and that really absorbed the collision. That hitch mechanism is clearly built like a tank.

Nevertheless, I called out the police just in case something was damaged which I couldn't see. I then drove 30 miles home and didn't notice anything wrong.

If I didn't have the tow package, it would've been a different story.

Knightrider03m 03-20-2011 11:35 PM

Re: Tow hitch saved my WK2

That is the reason why I kept my hitch ball on my Jeep. You hit my car and there will be a nice size hole in your bumper at the minimum.

UNCjeepWK2 03-20-2011 11:42 PM

^good idea.

n4exw 03-21-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNCjeepWK2 (Post 379671)
I was sitting at a stoplight today when I got slammed into by an older Durango. It felt like I got slammed into, anyway... the Durango was probably only going 10 mph or less. It was quite a jolt, though.

I got out and was expecting to see some visible damage to the rear of my car... but I couldn't find any! I have a strong metal hitch cover over it... and that really absorbed the collision. That hitch mechanism is clearly built like a tank.

Nevertheless, I called out the police just in case something was damaged which I couldn't see. I then drove 30 miles home and didn't notice anything wrong.

If I didn't have the tow package, it would've been a different story.

Yea I just had the same issue day before my trip to TN Gatlinburg
I stop at a light, lady behind me stops ok, but some reason she jams the gas an slam right in the back of my 3 month old jeep solid hit felt like big truck, only a ford suv. Hitch save me to my bumper is destroyed from the impact of the hitch pouch long holes in the back part. After it is fix it will have a ball
receiver in it next time. No hitch so stop them, it would been in the back hatch. caused more damage.

i0r15 03-21-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m (Post 379704)
That is the reason why I kept my hitch ball on my Jeep. You hit my car and there will be a nice size hole in your bumper at the minimum.

+1

Don't like the look, but it's a good way to protect your ass.

the1jake 03-21-2011 08:11 AM

Another idea posted from a previous thread: The Rhino step hitch. There's also an LED model out there from a different manufacturer. (bully brand?)
http://www.autoanything.com/images/p...hitch_step.jpg

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/69A2434A0A0.aspx?kc=GOOGADW&s_kwcid=TC|5843|rhino% 20hitch%20step||S|b|5887859408&gclid=CP_1zrvd36cCF Yxd5Qodpi739w

the1jake 03-21-2011 08:20 AM

Good to hear no visible damage and nobody got hurt.

BUT! I would still recommend taking it in to a frame and alignment shop to have a professional take a look. Many times there might be damage that is not easily visible. (this is from my experience when I used to manage a shop many years ago and perform inspections and estimates) Can't hurt to be on the safe side. Probably absolutely nothing and the Jeep is most likely fine, but I would want to be make sure.

On another note, somebody "swooped and squatted" on me in Vegas a couple of years back. No visible damage to their Mercedes (not even a scratch). I was questioning my insurance company and insisted I "tapped" them. (I too, was going less than 10mph when it happened) But when I saw the photos from the insurance company (after they removed the back of the Mercedes), it was a different story. The frame had absorbed some of the damage and clearly needed to be repaired.

UNCjeepWK2 03-21-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1jake (Post 379781)
Good to hear no visible damage and nobody got hurt.

BUT! I would still recommend taking it in to a frame and alignment shop to have a professional take a look. Many times there might be damage that is not easily visible. (this is from my experience when I used to manage a shop many years ago and perform inspections and estimates) Can't hurt to be on the safe side. Probably absolutely nothing and the Jeep is most likely fine, but I would want to be make sure.

On another note, somebody "swooped and squatted" on me in Vegas a couple of years back. No visible damage to their Mercedes (not even a scratch). I was questioning my insurance company and insisted I "tapped" them. (I too, was going less than 10mph when it happened) But when I saw the photos from the insurance company (after they removed the back of the Mercedes), it was a different story. The frame had absorbed some of the damage and clearly needed to be repaired.

Thanks for the advice... I will get it checked out. That's why I insisted on calling the police to at least exchange info just to make sure all my bases were covered.

UNCjeepWK2 03-21-2011 10:37 AM

Just got it checked out... and got a clean bill of health. Thank goodness.

jgc4ever 03-21-2011 11:13 AM

The hitch saved my WK too (didn't even have a ball on it), and not even a mark on the hitch.

the1jake 03-21-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNCjeepWK2 (Post 379840)
Just got it checked out... and got a clean bill of health. Thank goodness.

Great to hear! :thumbsup:

Dan JGC 03-21-2011 05:13 PM

Same thing happened with my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee....just cracked the plastic cover over the wiring connection. It was like BANG with a jolt. My plain tow mount saved my ONE MONTH OLD GC from serious damage!