Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Increasing MPG by up to 35% with Pure Acetone.... anybody done this? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/increasing-mpg-by-up-to-35-with-pure-acetone-anybody-done-this-20555.html)

thex2 03-21-2011 12:06 AM

Increasing MPG by up to 35% with Pure Acetone.... anybody done this?

For anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about: http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

For the users who are familiar with this, has anybody tried on it on their grand cherokee's? I've read up on it quite a bit and it seems to work, but in some cases, the vehicles have internal parts that Acetone eats away at... IE: it burns through the fuel line. I'm just curious if the grand cherokee has any parts Acetone would eat away at. Any input on this would be great.

GR33N D3M0N 03-21-2011 12:12 AM

Re: Increasing MPG by up to 35% with Pure Acetone.... anybody done this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18909941...consumer_news/

it'll damage the engine

thex2 03-21-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR33N D3M0N (Post 379721)

I've never trusted sites like msn. I'm not saying they're wrong; I'm just saying that I don't trust them.

The reason I started thinking about this again is because I have an old high school friend who's father has been running it in his 95 Ford F-150 and 1960 Chevy Corvette for the past 15+ years. I originally heard about this back in 2001 or 2002 and forgot about it because I was young and somebody else was paying the bill. I ran into my buddy and his father this weekend and saw the father topping the gas tank off with some Acetone and started asking him how it's been working for him. He's got nothing but great things to say about it. Other than him, I don't know anybody that's using it in real life. Either way, I'd be interested in knowing if anybody with a WK is using it.

I'd love to give it a shot because I have a life time powertrain warranty, but I was hoping somebody else on this forum has had years of experience with it.

Does anybody else know anybody that's actually been using this on other vehicles? The internet is flooded with stories, but it's nice to hear them from a private community.

MasterWK 03-21-2011 01:43 AM

There is a reason cars run off of gasoline. If they were meant to run off of acetone... They would.

i0r15 03-21-2011 07:58 AM

And you trust a site called "pure energy systems"??

Please try it though and report back with the results

White Chocolate 03-21-2011 11:35 AM

Yep, since you have "lifetime powertrain warranty" just do it. Throw it in and go for it, see what happens.

jeepgcoman 03-21-2011 12:10 PM

I've played this game many times before with my Hemi LX. I think if you run 100% acetone, you may have a problem. When I do this (seldom anymore) I only add about 8 oz. (read somewhere that was the best mix) per tank. It doesn't make any difference in town, but does help a little on the highway.....not enough to warrant continued use, IMO. I was always reluctant to put too much more in, fearing the seal problems mentioned. Maybe I'll try it again, this time on the WK. Also, I've heard that oil companies use some acetone in the fuels already to aid in mixture vaporization.

dmsfun 03-21-2011 02:02 PM

Acetone is a well known carcinogen, if you breathe the fumes, it gets into your blood stream, and if you get it onto your skin it is absorbed subcutaneously. You may pick up a mile a gallon, with the added risk of dying sooner.

Chaoul1 03-21-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thex2 (Post 379720)
For anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about: http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

For the users who are familiar with this, has anybody tried on it on their grand cherokee's? I've read up on it quite a bit and it seems to work, but in some cases, the vehicles have internal parts that Acetone eats away at... IE: it burns through the fuel line. I'm just curious if the grand cherokee has any parts Acetone would eat away at. Any input on this would be great.

Try it out and tell us if it helps :thumbsup:

thex2 03-21-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 379876)
I've played this game many times before with my Hemi LX. I think if you run 100% acetone, you may have a problem. When I do this (seldom anymore) I only add about 8 oz. (read somewhere that was the best mix) per tank. It doesn't make any difference in town, but does help a little on the highway.....not enough to warrant continued use, IMO. I was always reluctant to put too much more in, fearing the seal problems mentioned. Maybe I'll try it again, this time on the WK. Also, I've heard that oil companies use some acetone in the fuels already to aid in mixture vaporization.

ya, if you go to that link I posted, it shows 3oz per 10 gallons works best. If you do end up trying it out, please post your results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 379916)
Acetone is a well known carcinogen, if you breathe the fumes, it gets into your blood stream, and if you get it onto your skin it is absorbed subcutaneously. You may pick up a mile a gallon, with the added risk of dying sooner.

While that sounds crappy, and it is, people use Acetone every day and live long healthy lives. Handled properly, there's little risk involved.

That being said, I didn't consider those health risks when I was thinking about trying this (my buddies father doesn't take any precautions, but he's also the type of guy who may not take any precautions because decades of exposure to Acetone has ****ed his brain up). The main reason I wanted to experiment with this is because I'm tired of filling up my tank so often. I really just want a 30+ gallon tank in my vehicle. If adding Acetone to my vehicle every time I fill up requires goggles, rubber gloves and an air filter, I'd rather not bother. Thanks for the heads up.

MasterWK 03-21-2011 09:52 PM

Carcinogens cause cancer. Acetone has carcinogenic vapors. Hence, you increase your risk of cancer when using/breathing in the fumes. Is it enough to have an effect on you? Maybe not, but you would be seriously risking your health and vehicle for some stupid science experiment. Honestly...

maxst2 03-22-2011 01:32 PM

Anyone watch mythbusters here...

Busted doesn't do anything.

You want better mpg... buy a prius and stop bitchin' :D