Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Alternate to upgrading exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/alternate-to-upgrading-exhaust-20577.html)

wjs81866 03-21-2011 03:35 PM

Alternate to upgrading exhaust

I spoke with a local performance exhaust shop over the weekend, this guy does tons of work with Hemi's (Ram trucks and Chrysler 300M's etc) He hasn't done anything with the 2011 Grands yet but suggested cutting off the 2 rear resonators and welding the tips back on.

He said he's done this for several already and everyone has been pleased so far.

So basically cut out the resonators and you get a more aggressive sound.

He also went on to say that if I wasn't happy with the outcome he would weld it all back together, but said he was sure I would like the outcome.

It's about $150 to cut and weld back to looking like usual with stock tips, this is significant considering the Corsa's and Borla's are around $1500.

Any thoughts?

White Chocolate 03-21-2011 05:12 PM

Re: Alternate to upgrading exhaust

You didn't know this already? Removing the reso will cause significant "drone"

i0r15 03-21-2011 05:17 PM

I know a few ppl on here that promotes muffler delete and just leave the reso.

surfb 03-21-2011 07:58 PM

Just too say,It's about time jeep installed duals on the Gr.Cher..Should have done this along time ago....

gonzanc 03-29-2011 08:50 AM

if you are dumping the resonator or the muffler on a v8 let me know and ill buy them off of you

wjs81866 03-29-2011 09:00 AM

Not thinking I'm going to mess with it, I'm concerned about the drone sound. I'll wait until there's a better more affordable aftermarket solution.

chucksc 03-29-2011 11:10 AM

IIRC in most states with emissions laws, VA and PA for sure, if you change the factory exhaust system you can be fined... One of the items inspected in VA is a visual as to modifications to exhaust system. If they find any they are supposed to flunk you right there or so I was told by my local mechanic/inspector....

robpp 03-29-2011 11:23 AM

^^^^^^^ thank God we all dont live in those POLICE STATES. 2 out of 50 isnt MOST.

VA is the exception. in CO so long as they see cats and I pass the test Im good. Emissions is the only test we have.
In CO you can have bald tires, busted up windshield, no brake lights, NO ONE DOES A THING. BUT DONT YOU DARE POLLUTE THE AIR :lol:

wjs81866 03-29-2011 01:15 PM

Illinois as long as it passes emmision test in the Chcago area they don't care, exhaust issues in Illinois are usually related to being too loud. City thing

77rednecktruck 03-29-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucksc (Post 385123)
IIRC in most states with emissions laws, VA and PA for sure, if you change the factory exhaust system you can be fined... One of the items inspected in VA is a visual as to modifications to exhaust system. If they find any they are supposed to flunk you right there or so I was told by my local mechanic/inspector....

I live in PA and have had modified exhausts on the majority of my cars and never had an issue. As long as the cats are there, you are good to go. I had headers on my old 91 mustang gt. It went into the cats and then an H-pipe and a muffler and dumped right in front of the rear tire and never had an issue with police or inspections. VA may be more strict but PA doesn't seem to care that much.

ogbred 06-22-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 380034)
You didn't know this already? Removing the reso will cause significant "drone"

I did remove the resonators and I do not have any drone,but just a nice little rumble at idle and at speed you can hardly hear the difference.Sounds great.$180.00 with nice 3 1/2" double wall tips.(Lou's Custom Exhaust Lawrence Mass.)

Rocker Mark 06-29-2011 04:07 PM

I have a 2011 WK2 and I did cut the rear mufflers off, put in an X-pipe midway at the point where the pipes are closest to each other, also I removed the factory air box and put in a B-Woody CAI. The drone doesn't bother me...it is not that bad. Now it sounds like a Hemi, and it pulls in a shit-ton of air. It not a hot rod, but it's close.