Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Cracked Windshield (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/cracked-windshield-20582.html)

RedBolt 03-21-2011 04:57 PM

Cracked Windshield

All: I am moving a comment from WK Rover from the "Want to Cry with Me?" thread to here because I think it warrants its own thread. My experience was the exact same as his.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2 Rover (Post 379841)
This morning I went out to my car and found a foot long crack in the windshield! I must have taken a rock hit because there is a very small chip in the window, which seems to have started the crack. In 17.5 years with my old Grand Cherokee nothing like this ever happened, and my 2011 takes a hit in the first few months. Are windshields too thin and fragile these days?

Rover:

Same thing happened to me. One day I was driving with my wife and she noticed a crack in the lower center part of the windshield. The crack ran from the bottom center up about 12". Like you, I saw I very small chip in the windshield. I, too, would like to know if this is a common problem since it is the first cracked windshield I have suffered in 30+ years of driving.

- Because my Jeep was so new (3 months/2500 mi), I insisted on OEM glass replacement which the insurance company had no trouble authorizing. The difference, I was told, was not that huge.

- The insurance company wanted me to use SafeLite, but told me I was free to use whomever I wanted. Because of the bad rep SafeLite has in this forum, I was leery, so I called several other places. The two local dealerships did not do windshield replacements so I called their subcontractors as well as others. Long story short, SafeLite seemed to be the best option after all so I went with them. They offered to come to my house for the repair (all of the shops did) which I accepted.

- The guy who showed up had been in the business for a long time. When I asked him how he was going to remove it without damaging, scratching, etc., he told me he uses a blade to cut out the windshield but not to worry because he covered any scratches with primer to prevent rusting and the scratches caused by the cutting would be under the new windshield and not visible in any case. I wasn't thrilled with that so I asked if there was another option. He said yes, they could use a wire to remove the windshield but he had not yet been trained. He offered to call someone who was trained and within 45 min that person was at my house and the two had the cracked windshield off in no time, with no scratches anywhere. The new OEM windshield was installed in about 20 min and it looks perfect.

- Lessons Learned. (1) Ask for the wire removal, not the blade. The wire will allow an experienced tech to remove the windshield with no scratches and leaves no marks whatsoever. (2) Order time for the OEM windshield was only a couple of days. Retail was $680 but their cost was considerably less. Total cost of repair was under $500. (3) SafeLite here in Hampton Roads, VA does great work.

Redbolt
2011 Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Tech Package

hammer1234 07-26-2011 03:16 PM

Re: Cracked Windshield

Thanks for the heads up on the OEM advice.

Just had a stone crack in the line of sight. Gotta love those dump trucks that are careless and spew rocks all over the road...:mad:

Called up the insurance and requested OEM replacement. Will take more time but it should be worth it. According to online info, in Mass. I can get OEM if the vehicle has under 20K miles.

The insurance company (USAA) does use SafeLite as their vendor of choice so I just went with them. Not sure if they have always been the preferred vendor but I've had a number of repairs and replacements done with preferred vendors in the past and have not had any issues. Hope it works out.

Radside 07-26-2011 03:40 PM

I'm in Chesapeake, VA and agree that Safelite here is awesome and I have used them exclusively with no problems. In addition to my 2011 JGC, I have a 2007 JK Sahara so windshield replacements is almost an annual requirement for the JK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBolt (Post 380030)
All: I am moving a comment from WK Rover from the "Want to Cry with Me?" thread to here because I think it warrants its own thread. My experience was the exact same as his.

Rover:

Same thing happened to me. One day I was driving with my wife and she noticed a crack in the lower center part of the windshield. The crack ran from the bottom center up about 12". Like you, I saw I very small chip in the windshield. I, too, would like to know if this is a common problem since it is the first cracked windshield I have suffered in 30+ years of driving.

- Because my Jeep was so new (3 months/2500 mi), I insisted on OEM glass replacement which the insurance company had no trouble authorizing. The difference, I was told, was not that huge.

- The insurance company wanted me to use SafeLite, but told me I was free to use whomever I wanted. Because of the bad rep SafeLite has in this forum, I was leery, so I called several other places. The two local dealerships did not do windshield replacements so I called their subcontractors as well as others. Long story short, SafeLite seemed to be the best option after all so I went with them. They offered to come to my house for the repair (all of the shops did) which I accepted.

- The guy who showed up had been in the business for a long time. When I asked him how he was going to remove it without damaging, scratching, etc., he told me he uses a blade to cut out the windshield but not to worry because he covered any scratches with primer to prevent rusting and the scratches caused by the cutting would be under the new windshield and not visible in any case. I wasn't thrilled with that so I asked if there was another option. He said yes, they could use a wire to remove the windshield but he had not yet been trained. He offered to call someone who was trained and within 45 min that person was at my house and the two had the cracked windshield off in no time, with no scratches anywhere. The new OEM windshield was installed in about 20 min and it looks perfect.

- Lessons Learned. (1) Ask for the wire removal, not the blade. The wire will allow an experienced tech to remove the windshield with no scratches and leaves no marks whatsoever. (2) Order time for the OEM windshield was only a couple of days. Retail was $680 but their cost was considerably less. Total cost of repair was under $500. (3) SafeLite here in Hampton Roads, VA does great work.

Redbolt
2011 Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Tech Package

rich mac 07-26-2011 09:16 PM

Just like any other retail/auto chain, safelite is only as good as the repair person who happens to show up to do the work. It's kind of a luck of the draw. I had them replace a windshield in my Ford pickup and they did a perfect job. I opted to go to the place of business where they could work indoors. They used a aftermarket windshield, but after a year, I see no flaws or leaks.

AAAA 07-26-2011 09:29 PM

Does SafeLite order the OEM windshield or did you have to order it for them through the dealer? Any problems with rearview mirror or rain sensor?

pbm317 07-26-2011 10:17 PM

I think this is true on nearly all cars lately. I've had rock chips on nearly every car I've owned in the past 6 years (and there have been a lot of cars) everything from a BMW 330i to a Lexus RX and GX to Toyota FJ Cruiser.

jamesdomagalski 07-27-2011 06:40 AM

I had mine replace a couple of months ago due to a large chunck of pavement hitting the windshield (I'm just happy it did not strike metal). It was replaced with OEM glass. They asked me if I wanted the crack filled, which would not have worked. The thing that amazes me is how much the price jumps because of the rain sensor. After the install I've had no problems with the rearview or sensor.

RedBolt 08-05-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 455408)
Does SafeLite order the OEM windshield or did you have to order it for them through the dealer? Any problems with rearview mirror or rain sensor?

Dealer did not get involved; SafeLite handled it all. No problems whatsoever with the rear view mirror or rain sensor.

AAAA 08-05-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBolt (Post 460408)
Dealer did not get involved; SafeLite handled it all. No problems whatsoever with the rear view mirror or rain sensor.

That's good. I was at the dealer last week and saw the SafeLite truck drive around back. Nice to see they do the work there if necessary.

ostroveni 08-05-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesdomagalski (Post 455521)
I had mine replace a couple of months ago due to a large chunck of pavement hitting the windshield (I'm just happy it did not strike metal). It was replaced with OEM glass. They asked me if I wanted the crack filled, which would not have worked. The thing that amazes me is how much the price jumps because of the rain sensor. After the install I've had no problems with the rearview or sensor.

What was the difference?

hammer1234 08-23-2011 09:05 PM

OEM Install...fail

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I had the windshield replaced today and it looks like the rear view mirror is mounted too high, to the point where the sunglass holder partially obstructs it...

Does anyone know how low the mirror should be? I removed it from the windshield and it looks like the bottom of the mount is 8 inches from the top edge of the glass

It is a MOPAR windshield...not sure what the part number is but I've attached a snapshot of the label in the bottom center of the glass. I also attached a picture of the mirror location although the picture quality is poor...

We will be going back to SafeLite ASAP to resolve this but I'm wondering how this could be wrong. What OEM windshields would appear to fit the Jeep but would have the mount for the rear view mirror in a different location?

I have had a number of windshield replacements done over the years and this is the first time I've ever had this kind of issue...:mad:

Question...does anyone know if the mount plate is installed at the factory or not?

hammer1234 08-26-2011 08:01 AM

Simple adjustment...

Apparently the mirror has a couple of adjustment points the usual one that pivots it around and back and forth and another one that slides it up and down. The glass installer got in, put both hands on the mirror and moved it slightly down and voila it was good.

Thanks to the SafeLite installer for figuring that one out...