Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Oil Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/oil-change-20609.html)

paulie9 03-22-2011 10:10 AM

Oil Change

Well I had to get my oil changed on my jeep and I think there may be a bigger problem.

I know there is going to be a little run off after the service but this doesn't look right.... Thoughts?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ie9_9/oil4.jpg

I am just curious why it is leeking so far back (even more so since I park on a slant with the front end facing down grade)

dmsfun 03-22-2011 10:24 AM

Re: Oil Change

Looks like they did not tighten the oil drain plug, or the gasket is shot. TIghten it down more and see if it leaks; if it does, take it back to them and tell them the gasket leaks, so they should repolce it and the oil for free.

TJXJWJ 03-22-2011 11:03 AM

It's probably the damn plastic "skid plate". That thing gets filled with oil from draining. I just dropped the one in my wife's WK to do the front diff and it was caked with oil. It's in a bad place for draining oil. You can swipe your finger across the top of it and see if you get oil on your hands. If you do, and the plug is tight, you know you have oil sitting on that skidplate. A few paper towels and some degreaser should do the trick.

robpp 03-22-2011 11:48 AM

looks like the tech DROPPED the filter and MISSED the GUTTER that jeep put in there to catch the filter. i just did mine again and its near impossible to hold onto the filter and get it out. so they built a purpose gutter to catch the filter and drain the oil to the front. but it doesnt work very well :D

so oil gets on the skid. you go home and it leaks all over.

but the back drips are near the drain so i would crawl under and take a look? again the tech can make a mess by doing this without the skid removed but like others have said go check.

ChrisWk 03-22-2011 11:55 AM

Man looks bad.If you got the skid plates take them off they hold all the oil from changing it and makes a big mess. I took mine off and change my oil myself the dealership does not care about doing it right. The easies way to change the oil is buy sum rhino car ramps and you can get under there and do it. That is how I do my oil the best way. I did my oil last weekend it took 30 minutes and couple beers. I will look for a picture of them.

Chris

2005JGC 03-22-2011 01:43 PM

Yep typical lazy lube techs... I see this all the time when people pay spiffy lube to change their oil then come in for a warranty oil leak diagnosis. People do it wrong everywhere even the dealer but it irritates me spending time not getting paid to clean up spiffy lubes mess. Just something that grinds my gears a bit.

All you have to do is loosen 2 13mm bolts and take 2 more out and the plate slides off the front bolts, and the oil catcher/dripper is removed.

Black Trac 03-22-2011 02:14 PM

Chris is right. Rhino ramps are the way to go. Buy 2 sets, line them up in front of the front and rear wheels. It works best to put your jeep in 4X4 low and crawl up on them if you have low range. You can then invite your friends and have a party under there.

If you buy them get the 12K Lb rated ones, and be sure to set the trans and brake!

I'm planning on getting a Fomoto Valve for the Jeep. Looks like it will tuck up real well above the skid plate. Here's their site; http://www.fumotousa.com/. It replaces your drain plug.

Think about spending a little more and get the N-Series Valve. Buy a length of 3/8" I.D. hose. Attach it to valve, put the other end into a container, open the valve and go have a beer. Come back, shut the valve and remove the hose. Put the container under the oil filter, back it off from the adapter a bit and let it drain for a while before you remove it.

I've had this setup on my truck for a couple of years without any problems and not one drip - it makes life a lot easier. I use the hose clip they recommend for extreme use, but you may find that is overkill. You can buy the hose and hose clip at any local hardware store.

TJXJWJ 03-23-2011 02:46 PM

^ that valve is a great idea...now I need to find out what thread I'm working with on my WJ and the WK...

Black Trac 03-23-2011 06:20 PM

The valve makes life a lot easier. If you buy your oil in 5 Qt jugs like I do, you can save the old one from the previous change, stick the hose in it, turn on the valve and it's already containerized for disposal. Just be sure you prop it up before you start as the light (prior to being filled) container can tip as it's being filled.

If you have a question with what thread you need for your vehicle(s) email or call them, they're real good.

TJXJWJ 03-24-2011 10:43 AM

Ordered 2...one for each Jeep!