Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Brand New Here and Lost Already! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/brand-new-here-and-lost-already-20647.html)

weenie5 03-22-2011 10:51 PM

Brand New Here and Lost Already!

Hello and Help! New to all this blogging and chatting - but really need some advice and not sure where to input this question... My husband and I just picked up an Overland that I ordered. Was told that it would have the 730N, but it came with the 430N. At time of pick-up, I was then told that the 730N was no longer available and it was being replaced by the 430N. Turn out that was not true - ehe... My dealer now says that he will switch it out (for the upcharge of $465) after Jeep makes a conversion harness, which he said could be in 3 days or 6 months. I am not getting warm and fuzzies over this. I DO know that I want the 730N RHR. Does anybody have any info on the conversion harness - or if this is even the truth - or if it can be changed out without this 'harness'. My car was built in late Jan of 11, and I just picked it up March 4th... Does anybody have any answers - or where I can look for answers?

White Chocolate 03-22-2011 10:52 PM

Re: Brand New Here and Lost Already!

Welcome!!!

weenie5 03-22-2011 11:00 PM

Thanks! Did I post at the right spot? And how do I know when someone answers?? I feel so 100 years old!

mrjaydeeone 03-23-2011 02:51 AM

Welcome to JeepGarage|

Milous 03-23-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie5 (Post 381031)
...And how do I know when someone answers??

Usually, the person on the other end will say "hello".

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie5 (Post 381031)
I feel so 100 years old!

Don't feel bad, there are probably a couple people on this board who ARE 100 years old, or at least, look 100 years old!

TJXJWJ 03-23-2011 07:31 AM

I don't know about paying for anything...if the dealer promised you a certain unit when you ordered the vehicle, they should live up to that promise. I'd threaten to return the truck if they don't do what they said they would do.

weenie5 03-23-2011 10:06 AM

Re: No conversion harness required...

Thank Milous for your info about "No conversion harness is required, the wiring is the same". Where can I go to get hard evidence that this is true. You see, the sales manager that we are dealing with said that he talked to his repair team, and they said it WILL need a harness - so we need to wait. Any ideas on how I can prove him wrong? Customer Service at Jeep is WEAK. Some young buck on the other line saying he can't help - as this is out of his realm. REALLY??? So frustrated.

Milous 03-23-2011 01:15 PM

Re: No conversion harness required...

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie5 (Post 381195)
Where can I go to get hard evidence that this is true. You see, the sales manager that we are dealing with said that he talked to his repair team, and they said it WILL need a harness - so we need to wait.

Edit: New information

jwojcins 03-23-2011 04:59 PM

In the meantime, you can read up and find some more info in these posts:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...light=730n+rhr

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...light=730n+rhr

...oh and, welcome!

2011RitterGC 03-23-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 381085)

No conversion harness is required, the wiring is the same. $465 would be a bargain in your situation, get it in writing. It's going to cost the dealer over $1200 to get the radio for you, they may try to add a "labor" charge for the swap, which by the way only takes a few minutes. It could take a month or two to get the radio, supplies are a little tight right now.

Thats no bargain if the dealer told you that you would get a 730N. If you can prove that he (or she) told you that then it shoudl be at no cost.

dobiegillis 03-23-2011 05:15 PM

This crap with the various media center versions is ridiculous. And on top of that it appears that each newer version STILL doesn't work right. Seriously reconsidering my purchase decision. Why can't Chrysler hire some decent software engineers, test with real consumers, and educate sales staff. Due to the proliferation of gps, bluetooth, and digital media, infotainment options are an extremely important selling point for consumers on new cars today. This is one of the main reasons I want a new car...to access these new infotainment features. If they aren't available, are sold incorrectly, or don't work as promised that's a big problem for me.

netcoolery 03-23-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobiegillis (Post 381495)
.... Why can't Chrysler hire some decent software engineers, test with real consumers, and educate sales staff. ....

Hell, I work for a large technical company (which I will not name) and WE can't even get all our s%^&t to work right.

Decent software engineers are very hard to find. To add to the frustration, consumers do not punish companies that play fast and loose with (or outright ignore) standards for inter-operation (Apple is notorious for this, but certainly not the only offender.)

Now .. if you think the above was a rant ... try this:

For all you parents out there ... kick little Johnny's ass (or little Susie's) and tell them that they can't just take the minimum math and science class. The US educational system is producing way too few students capable of going on to become engineers or programmers.

I feel better now ;)