Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rear Hatch size?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rear-hatch-size-20664.html)

ibleedoil 03-23-2011 12:50 PM

Rear Hatch size??

So, I was just wondering if the rear hatch is large enough to fit a 4x8' piece of plywood/gypsum board?? Prob have to be on an angle if it can be done at all. Any thoughts?

bluetrude 03-23-2011 01:42 PM

Re: Rear Hatch size??

I did some measurements when I test drove but don't have them with me now. I believe it would fit on an angle with rear seats down. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows for sure.

ternst 03-23-2011 05:13 PM

It is just 6 feet behind the front seats/center console to the hatch so a 4 x 8 won't fit. It is barely 48" on one angle in the rear so you could get a 4 x 6 in maybe if you were really careful, but it would probably scratch/gouge stuff in the process. I sleep in my SUV frequently so I always measure the length back there before purchase - I'll have to move one of the front seats forward to fit but it will work for me.

moparBG 03-23-2011 05:19 PM

tie it to the roof rack if you have one.

ternst 03-23-2011 05:36 PM

I doubt you could go very far or fast with a full sheet on top - the rails are only 30" or less apart and that leaves a lot hanging out on both ends of the sheet to catch the wind, but I guess it could be done. This is not really a rig to haul plywood in/on.

moparBG 03-23-2011 05:46 PM

I have carried two pieces of drywall on my 97 GC. Go slow. Hardest part was tie down. Plywood would be flimsy as said above and could catch in the wind. You also dont want to go too heavy either.

Bmwister 03-23-2011 06:22 PM

An old post by me when I wondered what I could stuff inside of one:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=13955&highlight=interior+dimensio ns

A 4x8 isn't in the cards.

dubwarren 03-23-2011 09:22 PM

Off topic, but why do you sleep in there? Ive often considered taking off to the beach and sleeping in the back of my jeep, of course wifey wants, and gets a hotel room/beach house, so my dream hasnt been realized as of yet, just curious why you sleep back there and how annoying it is to spend the night in the back of a new jeep.

ternst 03-23-2011 09:38 PM

I'm a nature photographer and often have to be places way before sunrise, and I don't always like to put up a tent and then have to take it back down again, especially if it is raining. Sometimes I will leave my cabin and drive several hours and get someplace and park at midnight, crawl in the back for a few hours and then get up and 4am and hike a couple of hours in the dark to be where I need to be when the magic light begins.

Sometimes I also just need to pull over and sleep for a few hours to keep from going to sleep while driving. For example, I have a class coming up in Dallas next month that starts at 9am. I have to work until late the day before, then will drive half the night to get to Dallas - seems kind of silly to check into a motel at 3am and then get up and leave at 8am - I'm not made of money, nor want to waste it just for a few hours of sleep. Kind of the same deal after this class - it ends at 9pm but I have to be back at work the next morning so I will leave Dallas and drive towards home until I get too sleepy, then will pull over and crawl in the back for a few hours sleep and then complete the drive home.

When I was younger I typically logged more than 200 nights a year in my vehicle - back then it was a Dodge Grand Caravan so there was a lot more room to stretch out (I used to drive 50-60 thousand miles a year and would put 200,000 miles on a van before trading it in). I'm poor and cheap (starving artist you know) and much prefer to be close to where the great light is instead of wasting time and money in town somewhere in a hotel. Gosh, come to think of it, I bet I've saved enough motel money over the years to pay for my new Overland, ha, ha!

I must say that now that I'm older and have moved out into the middle of the wilderness with a beautiful wife I don't sleep in the back of the car much - I prefer to return home to my lovely bride each night, even if that means getting home at 1am and getting up and leaving again at 4 or 5 to chase the great light. Getting soft in my old age! But it is nice to have the option to crawl in the back and stretch out if I need to, and the new Overland will give me just enough room to do that...Oh, and with that giant view out the ceiling it will be great!

mhassler 03-25-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubwarren (Post 381675)
Off topic, but why do you sleep in there? Ive often considered taking off to the beach and sleeping in the back of my jeep, of course wifey wants, and gets a hotel room/beach house, so my dream hasnt been realized as of yet, just curious why you sleep back there and how annoying it is to spend the night in the back of a new jeep.

Well, my reason may not be as good as ternst's reason but... I use to sleep in the back of my ZJ almost every weekend. If I went out to a party or the bar I would always think I could make it the 50-miles to my home in the middle of nowhere. Well, normally after 20-min i'd realize it wasn't the smartest thing so i'd pull of the highway, duck into the woods and take a nap until sunrise - I always had a sleeping bag in back. Better than a DUI or a struck deer :)