Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Moving to North Carolina (Raleigh Area) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/moving-to-north-carolina-raleigh-area-20668.html)

esports15 03-23-2011 03:01 PM

Moving to North Carolina (Raleigh Area)

I am going to be moving to NC in a couple of months and was just curious if anyone knew of any light trails or good camping locations. My wife and I will be moving out there and won't know anyone so any ideas on things to keep us busy on the weekends would be great!

Ken Jacobs 03-23-2011 03:29 PM

Re: Moving to North Carolina (Raleigh Area)

A four hour drive will put you at the Outer Banks and you can wheel on the sand. It's great fun.

the1jake 03-23-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Jacobs (Post 381399)
A four hour drive will put you at the Outer Banks and you can wheel on the sand. It's great fun.

Yes, yes it is. My sig pic is from the OBX.

Check out this link to get some advice from the locals: http://www.nc4x4.com/

pixyprincess 03-23-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esports15 (Post 381376)
I am going to be moving to NC in a couple of months and was just curious if anyone knew of any light trails or good camping locations. My wife and I will be moving out there and won't know anyone so any ideas on things to keep us busy on the weekends would be great!

Hi there, I'm from Asheville, North Carolina (Western NC). If you're willing to drive a few hours west of Raleigh, you can hit the Blue Ridge Parkway (I'm just familiar with catching it in Boone or Asheville, but I'm sure there are plenty other meetpoints). The Parkway has tons of trails and campsites.

esports15 03-23-2011 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Those all sound like lots of fun and we can't wait to see the outerbanks (neither of us have been there before)!

kaflyboy 03-23-2011 04:50 PM

I live in Charlotte (actually Lake Norman Area) and the mountains are beautiful. I'm not sure were some trails are but i'm sure you can find some...

esports15 03-23-2011 06:20 PM

If anyone knows of a great place to stay at the Outer Banks for a weekend/long weekend let me know!

dubwarren 03-23-2011 09:26 PM

Hatteras is where you need to be to go beach driving, anywhere south of and including Oregon inlet. Hatteras realty or midgett realty have tons of houses and condos. I'd recommend the resort residences from midgett, top notch for the money.

2004wjmedic 03-23-2011 11:56 PM

There is a state park in Sapphire NC called Gorges State Park. They have some pretty nice not to technical but enough to have fun with trails. There is also quite a few very beautiful places to camp there. My favorite spot is about 6 miles in on the trail right next to a fairly large river.

UNCjeepWK2 03-24-2011 04:45 AM

You're very lucky to be moving to NC... there's so many to do... just a few hours west, you've got Asheville, Boone, Blowing Rock, the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc., etc. Just a couple hours east, you've got the Outer Banks and the Crystal Coast.

Don't forget about Chapel Hill in your new backyard. Most beautiful college town in the world! (I might be slightly biased...).

Welcome to NC!

Sid Fields 03-24-2011 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubwarren (Post 381680)
Hatteras is where you need to be to go beach driving, anywhere south of and including Oregon inlet. Hatteras realty or midgett realty have tons of houses and condos. I'd recommend the resort residences from midgett, top notch for the money.

Definitely south of Oregon Inlet. Peace and quiet. We've used Midgett many times. Also check out Outer Beaches Realty and Surf Or Sound. Colony has lots of smaller places for rent. In the summer it may be difficult to get a few days or a mid week rental but the early spring and late fall are great down there.

2011RitterGC 03-24-2011 08:09 AM

Lots of NC Jeeps here!

I live in WNC (west of Asheville and 15 minutes from the BRMP). I love it here. The jeeps are fun on mountain roads.