Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Summit Dash-Leather Treatment Needed? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/summit-dash-leather-treatment-needed-20688.html)

fireron 03-23-2011 09:11 PM

Summit Dash-Leather Treatment Needed?

Reading about the saddle leather concerns, I turned a closer eye to the dash on my Summit. I don't know if everyone's saddle dash is as dry as mine was, or if this was covered earlier I missed it, but it almost has a slight sandpaper feel to it. Somewhat disturbing, at least to me.

Being in AZ and having a leather dash for the first time, I felt I needed to take preventative measures to avoid it drying out prematurely. I did some research and decided on Zymol Leather Treat ($30 per), not the Leather Conditioner($13 per) for the initial treatment. The difference was night and day after (2) treatments. Not oily feeling but definitely an improvement. The dash now feels much better with a very slight gloss to it. I just thought I would pass this along to you Summit owners as something you might want to look at sooner rather than later.

Dan JGC 03-23-2011 09:16 PM

Re: Summit Dash-Leather Treatment Needed?

^^^ Thanks...

joebinotto 03-23-2011 09:34 PM

Thanks Fireron. I ordered a bottle off Amazon. Now if I only had a leather dash to use it on!

Tinkan 03-23-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireron (Post 381659)
I just thought I would pass this along to you Summit owners as something you might want to look at sooner rather than later.

Fireron, Thanks for the info. This will also apply to Overland owners as well. I was wondering what would be best for the black leather dash that I have out a little east of you. Summer can be a little hot out here.

Jpjr 03-23-2011 09:41 PM

the saddle seems excessively dry based upon what people have posted

it is def a good idea to treat it more than occasionally... with anything

earldharris 03-23-2011 10:23 PM

I agree - the leather on the dash does seem a little sand-paper-ish. I have put several applications of Z-10 (Zaino Leather in a bottle), and it does seem to help some - but not enough in my opinion.
I will give the Zymol a try - Thanks!

This does not seem to be an issue with the seats, however - only the dash!:confused:

dnizzle2010 03-23-2011 11:56 PM

just purchased Zymol Treat and Zymol Honey Leather Conditioner on Amazon...this forum rocks, hope to be able to use it as early as next week (when my Summit arrives)

@ fireron : nice work, thanks

dobiegillis 03-24-2011 05:25 AM

If after conditioning and the dash is slightly glossy, does that create any glare on the windshield?

fireron 03-24-2011 06:27 AM

No glare. It is very low sheen. Some folks like Lexol, others Zymol and dozens of other products as well. I just felt the leather needed to be treated sooner rather than later and in particular the dash. I don't feel the dash in our Summits will ever feel buttery soft, nor should it probably. Just use what you are comfortable with because opinions will always vary. This forum is surely proof of that and I am certainly no expert but listened to some classic car restorers in my area.

netcoolery 03-24-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireron (Post 381867)
No glare. It is very low sheen. Some folks like Lexol, others Zymol and dozens of other products as well. I just felt the leather needed to be treated sooner rather than later and in particular the dash. I don't feel the dash in our Summits will ever feel buttery soft, nor should it probably. Just use what you are comfortable with because opinions will always vary. This forum is surely proof of that and I am certainly no expert but listened to some classic car restorers in my area.

When in (detailing) doubt - use Zymol (my motto :)). I have met Chuck Bennett at BMW Oktoberfest - this dude eats, breathes and sleeps car detailing. I am not saying there aren't other excellent products out there, I am just saying from personal experience that everything Zymol sells is top notch!

jgc4ever 03-24-2011 01:05 PM

Is a leather dash really better than the plastic dash in the limited or laredo? I'd be worried about the leather in a few years looking bad. I wouldn't want it to look shiny either. :confused:

netcoolery 03-24-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 382127)
Is a leather dash really better than the plastic dash in the limited or laredo? I'd be worried about the leather in a few years looking bad. I wouldn't want it to look shiny either. :confused:

Bottom line - if you live in a hot and sunny climate like we do (fireron and I are both from Phoenix) you had better take care of your dash regardless of whether it's leather or plastic. All that UV coming through the windshield attacks any material short of metal.

Options include dash mats or regular application of a quality conditioner. (Note: Avoid Armor-All for vinyl dashes - that stuff has solvents that make things worse.)