Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Change Lane feature (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/change-lane-feature-20700.html)

earldharris 03-24-2011 12:28 AM

Change Lane feature

This is a new trick the dealer showed me when we picked up my wife's Summit from the dealer tonight (had undercoating, skid plates, clear mask and window tint installed, plus slush mats)

Tap the blinker stalk in the direction which you wish to go (not all the way until it clicks, just a little bit) - the blinker will blink three times, indicating that you are changing lanes, and then shut off.

Neat feature - although I kept doing it old school: manually turning the blinkers on, and then manually turning them off once I am 1/2 way into the intended lane. Each time I would be - oh yeah, I should use the new feature! :o

White Chocolate 03-24-2011 12:29 AM

Re: Change Lane feature

cool lol

Dan JGC 03-24-2011 12:35 AM

Hey --- don't mean to burst your bubble but most vehicles built in the last decade or so have two-stage blinkers....first stage (before it clicks into the staying blinking which is the second stage or the way blinkers where 20 years ago) is for passing. Normally you just hold the first stage for a second as you change lanes. The new GC you go to the first stage and let go and it blinks three times without holding it in the first stage... It's in the manual.

Dan JGC 03-24-2011 12:37 AM

Oh, and CONGRATS ON THE NEW SUMMIT!!!
:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

donnie g 03-24-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earldharris (Post 381806)
This is a new trick the dealer showed me when we picked up my wife's Summit from the dealer tonight (had undercoating, skid plates, clear mask and window tint installed, plus slush mats)

Tap the blinker stalk in the direction which you wish to go (not all the way until it clicks, just a little bit) - the blinker will blink three times, indicating that you are changing lanes, and then shut off.

Neat feature - although I kept doing it old school: manually turning the blinkers on, and then manually turning them off once I am 1/2 way into the intended lane. Each time I would be - oh yeah, I should use the new feature! :o

That is a neat feature but, if you live in Florida, you don't have to worry about it since nobody uses their turn signals here!;)

kaflyboy 03-24-2011 08:32 AM

Earl-

what color summit? pictures?

Nouveau Redneck 03-24-2011 09:11 AM

The first vehicle I had that did that was a 1994 GMC Jimmy. All of the Jeeps and Dodge trucks that I have owned (8 since 2001) have done it.

earldharris 03-24-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 381922)
Earl-

what color summit? pictures?

Rugged Brown :

Happy to share...http://2011jgc.shutterfly.com/pictures

:)

...I will try to post some more with the tint - as soon as I pry it out of my wife's hands...:D

JF_Inferno 03-24-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie g (Post 381911)
That is a neat feature but, if you live in Florida, you don't have to worry about it since nobody uses their turn signals here!;)

Vehicles in TX don't have blinkers either...proven fact :lol:

earldharris 03-24-2011 10:23 AM

I think that my vast powers of description have failed :( - LOL

When you push the blinker stalk (within stage 1) and immediately let go, it will still blink three times, to indicate a desire to change lanes.
None of my other vehicles do this - if you push the blinker stalk (within stage 1) and immediately let go, the blinking will immediately stop (I confirmed this morning in my '04 Dakota to make sure I wasn't crazy).

When I normally change lanes, I hold the stalk within stage 1, until I am clearly in my intended lane, and then release the stalk.
With this feature, you no longer have to hold the stalk - just tap.

...maybe I am the only one to find this interesting...

Dan JGC 03-24-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie g (Post 381911)

True...and oddly, even in newer vehicles, there seems to be a trend to disconnect the center rear brake light....I have never seen so many people driving and it doesn't light up when they brake (even though the other brake lights get brighter). There is no way these newer model vehicle had ALL their rear center brake lights out....not way....same goes with older vehicles...how can all the bulbs go out and not notice? It is very dangerous....perhaps they want the rear end collision....dunno.

Dan JGC 03-24-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earldharris (Post 382015)
I think that my vast powers of description have failed :( - LOL

When you push the blinker stalk (within stage 1) and immediately let go, it will still blink three times, to indicate a desire to change lanes.
None of my other vehicles do this - if you push the blinker stalk (within stage 1) and immediately let go, the blinking will immediately stop (I confirmed this morning in my '04 Dakota to make sure I wasn't crazy).

When I normally change lanes, I hold the stalk within stage 1, until I am clearly in my intended lane, and then release the stalk.
With this feature, you no longer have to hold the stalk - just tap.

...maybe I am the only one to find this interesting...

The problem is what if you only want to blink once.....you're stuck with a three blinking flirt!