Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Ipod connectivity (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/ipod-connectivity-20702.html)

pellep 03-24-2011 09:18 AM

Ipod connectivity

Hi guys-

I'm thinking of buying an ipod classic to leave in the GC center console using the ipod connection cable.

For those of you with a connected ipod -

-Is the connector powered when the GC is off (meaning will the ipod be charging and "on")

- Does the ipod shut off automatically after a period without usage?

I'm hoping that the ipod will always be "on" and ready to go with out having to open the console and boot it up every time.

Thanks
Paul

gtj105 03-24-2011 09:26 AM

Re: Ipod connectivity

Im not sure if it charges while the car is not on. there is a connector in the center console for that purpose if your in a bind. I believe that it charges while the car is on and the ipod is playing. There should not be an issue there. The initial load time (first connection of Ipod) takes some time. It seems as if information is stored in memory because it only takes a couple of seconds to startup after that. Even remembers what you were playing in your car last time in it. I normally take mine into work to listen at my desk. no matter what i listen to at work, when i plug back in, it knows what i was listening to last time in the car.

I have roughly 60 Gigs of music on my Ipod Classic.

2011RitterGC 03-24-2011 10:27 AM

Sometimes when I take the iPod out if the GC it needs a chagre. I am not sure when and how its discharging but I have a guess that its when the car is shut off while in the iPod mode. I have not had a chancce to prove this yet.

I do like having it in there.

Technosavant 03-24-2011 10:43 AM

I have an iPod Classic in there. 160GB, newest revision (which isn't that new).

The only times I have removed it from the vehicle were when I update my playlists. It lives in that little cubby. Only once did it not respond; it had locked up and needed to be soft reset. It charges while you drive courtesy of that cable. When you open the door, it "triggers" the iPod, so it's ready to go when you start the vehicle (but it may take 10 seconds or so for the media center to initialize enough to let you switch songs or playlists). I've never once had the battery run down to where it would not work.

I never touch it, it always works.

Robey5 03-24-2011 11:11 AM

I may be called 'out' for this one, but - with the large HD in the radio (430/730N = 30GB HD) - why would you want to use the IPOD at all? I (personally) would load up the HD, and leave the IPOD at home, or at the office, or wherever I'd need it (like for the work out, or snowboard park session).

Am I missing something??

gtj105 03-24-2011 11:48 AM

i dont think it matters one way or the other. The major advantage of using an Ipod (in my view) is to make customized playlists rather than just setting the HD to random and forwarding things you may not be in the mood to hear. I find it alot easier to update my the ipod than the music on the HD (not that either is particularly hard). To each their own though.

wreckdive 03-24-2011 11:52 AM

^ +1 Playlists, and crossfades. My iPod holds 4X the music the WK2's puny 30GB can.

ibleedoil 03-24-2011 12:02 PM

So can you upload folders of music to the HD or just individual files. I'm hoping that it has the capability for this.

pellep 03-24-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robey5 (Post 382048)
I may be called 'out' for this one, but - with the large HD in the radio (430/730N = 30GB HD) - why would you want to use the IPOD at all? I (personally) would load up the HD, and leave the IPOD at home, or at the office, or wherever I'd need it (like for the work out, or snowboard park session).

Am I missing something??

I assumed I could not load itunes purchased content on the HDD. Am I wrong?

Robey5 03-24-2011 12:20 PM

Not sure YET. When I take delivery of my truck (some time in the future) that will be one of the first projects, even though I'd say that I only have about 10-15% of my total music library purchased from Itunes. I was only thinking that since there is storage on board the vehicle, and because I am very abusive with my electronics, I don't really want to tempt fate by bringing the IPOD with me.

Rockraines 03-24-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robey5 (Post 382048)

Am I missing something??

30 gigs is not large. I have an ipod classic attached to my WK2 and it has about 85 gigs on it.

And the ipod has to be constantly booted back up when you turn on the car and it never switches right to ipod, you have to cycle to it. You also have to turn on shuffle each time manually if thats what you want.

Robey5 03-24-2011 01:26 PM

Well, I guess that I asked for it.

30GB is certainly large when compaired to the size that is in my current vehicles: 0 GB.

At the house we have a couple 2TB HDs, for media "back up". Maybe I will just install one of those in the GC for future usage (after the lockpick is installed - the #2 project after delivery).