Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   V6 Oil Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/v6-oil-change-20724.html)

Nbtstatic 03-24-2011 06:43 PM

V6 Oil Change
 
A Question for you DIY'ers who have changed your own oil. I am changing the oil right now in my Pentastar (it's draining now) and I don't see a gasket on the oil drain plug. I'm trying to figure out if it somehow went in the oil pan or if there wasn't one to begin with.

Did any of you see a gasket down there when you changed yours?

Thanks in advance,
NB

WK2OverlandII 03-24-2011 08:51 PM

Re: V6 Oil Change
 
Is it stuck fast to the oil pan? If you talking about the drain plug there usually is a gasket on the plug. If you talking about the filter I don't know as I have a Hemi.

Jeeters 03-24-2011 09:47 PM

Re: V6 Oil Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 382385)
A Question for you DIY'ers who have changed your own oil. I am changing the oil right now in my Pentastar (it's draining now) and I don't see a gasket on the oil drain plug. I'm trying to figure out if it somehow went in the oil pan or if there wasn't one to begin with.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/engine/3.6L_...ter_change.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 382463)
Is it stuck fast to the oil pan? If you talking about the drain plug there usually is a gasket on the plug. If you talking about the filter I don't know as I have a Hemi.

The V6 doesn't have a traditional oil filter. It has a 'cartridge' system that is accessed from the top of the engine block.

Nbtstatic 03-24-2011 10:04 PM

Re: V6 Oil Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 382494)
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/engine/3.6L_...ter_change.pdf

The V6 doesn't have a traditional oil filter. It has a 'cartridge' system that is accessed from the top of the engine block.


Thanks, I have the doc, the fact that it mentions a gasket on the drain plug is why I am wondering where the hell mine went. At the same time, their documentation is a cluster, and I'd rather hear it from someone who's actually done an oil change.

NB

WK2OverlandII 03-25-2011 05:12 AM

Re: V6 Oil Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 382510)
Thanks, I have the doc, the fact that it mentions a gasket on the drain plug is why I am wondering where the hell mine went. At the same time, their documentation is a cluster, and I'd rather hear it from someone who's actually done an oil change.

NB

You can buy a replacement drain plug gasket at your local auto parts store.

iRace559 03-28-2011 02:21 PM

Re: V6 Oil Change
 
Im doing my oil change right now, and it looks to me like the drain plug and gasket are all one piece. There is no traditional gasket or o-ring. The oversized bolt flange itself looks rubberized.

Nbtstatic 03-28-2011 02:26 PM

Re: V6 Oil Change
 
You are absolutely right, I forgot to come update this thread.

I called a Jeep parts department to confirm, there is no separate gasket on the V6 oil pan drain, the flange part of the bolt is just slightly rubberized and that's it. I was paranoid about putting it back together without one until i figured this out.

Thank you for the reply iRace.

NB

Lingohocken 05-17-2012 01:38 PM

Re: V6 Oil Change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 384526)
I called a Jeep parts department to confirm, there is no separate gasket on the V6 oil pan drain, the flange part of the bolt is just slightly rubberized and that's it. I was paranoid about putting it back together without one until i figured this out.

Confirmed. I just bought a plug ($5 and change) to have at home as a spare, and the rubber gasket is wedged into the plug's flange. It'll probably last for years unless the rubber totally flattens out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community