Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   BFG KDW's on Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/bfg-kdws-on-overland-20725.html)

mjw930 03-24-2011 06:49 PM

BFG KDW's on Overland

I know the large bulk of members here are more geared towards off road wheel and tires but for those who are more "on road" and performance oriented I pose this question:

Does anyone here have any experience with BFG G-Force KDW's on any year WK? I've come to the conclusion that the Fortenza's supplied with the WK2 are marginal at best and more geared towards highway use than anything that might be considered performance. Tires can have one of the largest effects on the dynamics of a vehicle and I feel the Fortenza's take the very capable WK2 chassis down a number of notches from where it could be with the right shoes.

I've researched all the tires currently available in the 265/50R20 size and although I could get away with a 275/45R20 the choice of tires doesn't really improve. Of all the tires available for a reasonable price (forget the $280/tire Michelin's or Yokohama's) the KDW's seem the be the best bang for the buck. FYI, I live in Florida and have not needed to drive in show or cold weather for 16 years so I'm looking for a performance summer tire as those have been proven to perform better in the dry and wet than most all season tires.

I'm interested to see what people who have used them in the larger aspect ratios have felt. Do they introduce uncomfortable levels of harshness? Do they produce uncomfortable noise? Anything from people who have experience with them would be great.

I've done some searches and found a couple threads but there isn't much review data around for the SUV application of these tires.

http://www.discounttire.com/product/...mtarh2.ang.jpg

Badassgrandcherokee 03-24-2011 11:12 PM

Re: BFG KDW's on Overland

love those tires had them all on my car rims... best tire i have tried yet... do they support LT weight tho?

mjw930 03-25-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badassgrandcherokee (Post 382560)
love those tires had them all on my car rims... best tire i have tried yet... do they support LT weight tho?

Thanks and yes, they have a 111 load rating which is higher than the 107 rating on the stock tires.

mjw930 03-25-2011 05:45 PM

Upon further reflection, despite at least one confirming PM that the KDW's are great on the older WK's I think I'm leaning towards the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. It has to have one of the highest rating on Tirerack and since I can't guarantee I'll never be in foul weather (GA/NC mountains in the winter) I think they are a better alternative.

Thoughts?

jas32 04-02-2011 08:32 PM

The only experience I have with BFG KDWs is on my 2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 which came with the KDWs as standard equipment tires. They were definitely great handling tires, but boy they were loud, particularly at 40 MPH. And they wore out quick.

Also they are downright dangerous with any sign of snow on the ground. Not good here in Michigan, so I replaced them with Toyo Proxes 4 very quickly.

EV1L 04-04-2011 11:39 AM

I had them before. As said, great at rain, but wear out fast and is loud.

I would not buy them again. For the price you could get better tires.

windsurfnut 01-07-2013 03:36 PM

I'm considering these too. I have dedicated winters, and looking for a summer tire and love the aggressive look. Suits the jeep without having to go for an all terrain tire. Are they really that loud? I'm sure they are louder then stock, but compared to what? An all terrain tire going to be the same level of noise?